* It can be grown indoors in the winter. * A very versatile and easy to grow vegetable. They are grown and consumed throughout the world. * Cherry Belle is an Heirloom Variety that can be planted in the spring or fall and is ready to eat 5 weeks after...
* Crimson Sweet is a heirloom variety that has been around a long time. * It is currently still one of the most popular varieties in the world! * Produces 20-25 lb. * It was an All American winner in 1964.
The baked seed makes very pleasant eating, it has a taste rather like a cross between potatoes and sweet chestnuts. The seed can be boiled and used in soups, porridges etc. An outdoor Bonsai, the Ginkgo requires winter protection in colder climates, store...
* The Bur-gambel oak is a Bur oak hybrid which is vigorous, fast growing, and produces heavy crops of acorns at a young age. * The drought tolerance of the Gambel oak combined with the cold tolerance of the bur oak make this hybrid one the of the hardiest...
* A purple to dull blue dye is obtained from the fruit. * Polyphenolic compounds from raspberry seeds are efficient antioxidants. * The fruit is delicious when eaten out of hand, the fruit is also used in pies, preserves etc.
Common Name: Red Raspberry, European Raspberry, Framboise
* They are commonly served raw and peeled. * The average yield from wild trees in the Himalayas is 83kg per year, though some trees yield up to 200kg. * The fruit tends to be quite large and fragrant, and when carefully wrapped (it has a tendency to bruise...
* Its conservation status was enhanced to Endangered by the IUCN in 2013 due to its declining abundance. * It is the national tree of Chile. Because of the great age of this species it is sometimes described as a living fossil.
Common Name: Monkey Puzzle Tree, Monkeypuzzle Tree
The upper branches of the tree tend to droop. The tree's pinnately compound leaves measure 8-25 cm long x 4-9 cm wide and are made up of 19-41 alternate leaflets. * A resinous gum obtained from the bark has been used in folk medicine to treat digestive...
* Seed - best sown as soon as it is ripe in a warm greenhouse. * This species is a small tree; its leaves are simple with toothed margins and are 7 to 15 cm in length. An edible oil is obtained from the seed.
* Yields an essential oil called 'Abietine'. The tree typically grows to 12-15 m, but can reach 35 m in height. * Pale blue-green needles to 12", cones to 10"; of loose, open habit; edible seeds; native to California.
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 12
Botanical Name: Pinus sabiniana
Common Name: Digger Pine, California Foothill Pine, Gray Pine, Foothills Pine, Sabine Pine, Bull Pine, Grayleaf Pine
* The name Blue Oak derives from the dark blue-green tint of its leaves, which are deciduous, 4–10 cm long, and entire or shallowly lobed. * It is also sometimes known as the Mountain Oak, and occasionally the Iron Oak.
* The flowers are used to add a muscatel flavour to stewed fruits, jellies and jams (especially gooseberry jam). A sweet tea is made from the dried flowers. * Sambucus nigra is a species complex of elder native to most of Europe , northwest Africa southwest...
Seeds Per Pound: 86,260
Collection Locale: Hungary
Common Name: Common Elder, European Elder, Black Elderberry
They are used in the treatment of stones in the urinary tract, rheumatoid arthralgia, cancers of the liver and oesophagus. It was first grown commercially in New Zealand, where it has been superseded by Actinidia deliciosa, or Kiwifruit.
* Because of its attractive bark, small leaves and thin branches, Chickasaw plum is also sometimes used for bonsai. * This plum is eaten fresh and made into jellies and preserves. * Chickasaw plum grows 12 to 20 feet tall and 15 to 20 feet wide in an...
It grows in well-drained, loamy or sandy soils. It is found from the Oshima Peninsula in Hokkaid? * Fagus crenata , known as the Japanese beech , Siebold's beech , or buna , is a deciduous tree of the beech family Fagaceae .
Height: 100 feet
Common Name: Japanese Beech, Siebold's Beech, Buna
* Prosopis chilensis , carob , is a species of South American legume family which dwells mainly central Chile, south of Peru , Andean- Chaco ecotone in Argentina . * In Chile, it is a very common species in the natural grasslands of the northern metropolitan...
Deliciosa, the kiwi fruit, the skin is smooth and can be eaten with the fruit. * A very hardy plant, tolerating temperatures down to -30°c or more, but the young spring growth is susceptible to frost damage.
* Elaeagnus commutata ( American Silverberry or Wolf-willow ), is a species of Elaeagnus native to western North America , from southern Alaska through British Columbia east to Manitoba , and south to Utah and across the upper Midwestern United States...
The passion fruit is round to oval, yellow or dark purple at maturity, with a soft to firm, juicy interior filled with numerous seeds. The fruit can be grown to eat or for its juice, which is often added to other fruit juices to enhance the aroma.
Common Name: Purple Granadilla, Passion Fruit, Bat Leaved Passion Flower, Granadilla
* Starchy and delicious, it has the texture of a waxy boiled potato with the flavour of chestnuts. * Produces fruit that look like pineapples when mature. * The germinating seed produces an underground 'earth nut' which has a coconut-like flavour.
Common Name: Bunya - Bunya Pine, Bunya Bunya, Bunya Pine, Bunya Bunya Tree, False Monkey Puzzle Tree
* Widely planted in Australia, both ornamentally and in timber plantations. Virtually odourless. Curiously, the National Register of Big Trees (2012) does not appear to list any trees in habitat, but reports the largest hoop pine in Australia to be 183...
Height: 150-180 feet
Seeds Per Pound: 2,450
Common Name: Hoop Pine, Moreton Bay Pine, Colonial Pine, Queensland Pine