Flowers are heart-shaped and 1–2 inches (3–5 cm) long, with pink outer petals and white inner petals , hanging in a horizontal raceme . * Compound leaves with leaflets in threes grow on fleshy green to pink stems up to 3 feet (0.9 m).
* Striking in the woodland garden; likes woodland soil; red berries in fall. * The leaves are trifoliate, with groups of three leaves growing together at the top of one long stem produced from a corm ; each leaflet is 8-15 cm long and 3-7 cm broad.
The baked seed makes very pleasant eating, it has a taste rather like a cross between potatoes and sweet chestnuts. A soft and oily texture, the seed has a sweet flavour and tastes somewhat like a large pine nut.
Its leaves resemble those of an Ash tree. * A good border plant with white or pinkish flowers on a vertical stalk; a long-lived plant, makes a substantial clump in the garden. * A very ornamental plant, it should be planted into its permanent position...
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 50
Height: 18-24 inches
Crop Year: 2013
Common Name: Gas Plant, Dittany, Gasplant, Burningbush
* A good ground cover plant, succeeding in the heavy shade of trees and in dry shade. * A low shrub with dark green evergreen leaves, shiny on the undersides; 2-3" flowers, bright yellow, throughout summer; easy to grow--tolerates dry soil; said to grow...
* Modern research has shown that the plant increases the white blood cell count and is of value when used to prevent bone marrow loss in cancer chemotherapy patients, it also has potential in the treatment of AIDS.
* Small, delicate plant forms a rounded mound, often loose and open; evergreen; 3" flowers in May, parents of this strain have flowers in variations of pink and purple; acid soil, good drainage; in the U.S. needs light shade in the North, more shade in...
It weighs 36lb per cubic foot. * Ilex opaca is a medium-sized broadleaved evergreen tree growing to 10-20 m tall, exceptionally up to 30 m tall, with a trunk diameter typically up to 50 cm, exceptionally 120 cm.
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 6
Botanical Name: Ilex opaca Red Velvet dried berries
* Native to southeastern U.S.; lavender-pink or bluish flowers from mid- to late summer, followed by bright purple, violet, or magenta fruits in great profusion. * American Beautyberry ( Callicarpa americana ) is an open-habit, native shrub of the Southern...
* It has also been used to combat radiation sickness and exposure to toxic chemicals. * The roots are harvested in the autumn and dried for later use. It is commonly called eleuthero , and was previously marketed in the United States as Siberian Ginseng...
* As an ornamental plant, it is appreciated for its hardiness in dry and nutritionally deficient conditions, popular in subtropical gardens where temperatures never fall below 5 °C to 7 °C, and as a warm-season bedding plant in temperate gardens.
Botanical Name: Catharanthus roseus
Crop Year: 2017
Common Name: Madagascar Periwinkle, Rose Periwinkle, Rosy Periwinkle
* Veratrum album , commonly known as the False Helleborine (also known as White Hellebore , European White Hellebore , White Veratrum ; syn. Veratrum lobelianum Bernh. * Upright stems topped by 1/2-1" flowers in a branched flower head, white, green, or...
* A shrub or small tree, with erect branching; sometimes rather scraggly; grown for its big, conspicuous late summer flowers, 4", white, "blue," purple, or red, in mid to late summer; seems to flower well in shade as well as sun; tolerant of urban conditions;...
* This species boasts the largest simple leaf and single flower of any native plant in North America. * It is a medium-sized understory tree 15-20 m tall, distinguished from other magnolias by the large leaf size, 25-80 cm long and 11-30 cm broad.
* Alangium platanifolium is a deciduous Shrub growing to 3 m (9ft) by 2 m (6ft). It is hardy to zone 8. The flowers are hermaphrodite (have both male and female organs) * The root is used in the treatment of rheumatism and other bone diseases.
Extremely winter hardy (grows in the wild as far north as Quebec) and is one of the parents of the Northern Lights hybrids developed by the University of Minnesota. An upright, rounded shrub which typically grows 4-8' tall (less frequently to 15' tall)...
It is named after William Kerr , who introduced the cultivar 'Pleniflora'. * Kerria japonica , the sole species in the genus Kerria , is a deciduous shrub in the rose family Rosaceae, native to eastern Asia , in China , Japan and Korea .