Paitan is antiseptic, astringent and haemostatic. It is used in the treatment of persistent cough with blood, chronic diarrhoea, spontaneous sweating, night sweats, bloody stool, urorrhoea and bloody sputum.
This soap is very good at removing dirt, though it does not remove oils very well. * Ceanothus velutinus is a species of shrub in the buckthorn family, Rhamnaceae , known by the common names Red Root , Snowbrush Ceanothus and Tobacco Brush .
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 5
Height: 9-12 feet
Common Name: Buck Brush, Snowbrush Ceanothus, Red Root, Tobacco Brush
* Succisa pratensis Moench, also known as Devil's-bit Scabious, is a flowering plant of the genus Succisa in the family Dipsacaceae . * An herbaceous perennial, forming a basal rosette to 1', from which arise 3' flowering stems with purplish blue (rarely...
Growing usually on the margins of woodland areas, it is native to Eastern, Southern and Central Europe . * The flowers and leaves are diaphoretic, diuretic and rubefacient. A homeopathic remedy is made from the plant.
A very nutritious food, 100g of the raw leaves contain about 2.7g. The leaves are often blanched (by excluding light from the growing plant) before use. When used in salads, they are rather bitter, though less so in the winter.
* Echinacea paradoxa ( Bush's purple coneflower , Yellow Coneflower ) is a perennial species of flowering plant in the genus Echinacea . * The yellow rays are strongly downturned and the disk is dark brown.
The drupes are black when ripe and 12 mm (0.47 in) in diameter. * Mexican Palmetto reaches a height of 12–18 m (39–59 ft), with a spread of 3–4 m (9.8–13 ft). * The leaves are used for making baskets, chair seats or thatch.
Height: 30-40 feet
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 8
Crop Year: 2012
Botanical Name: Sabal mexicana
Common Name: Texas Palmetto, Rio Grande Palmetto, Mexican Palmeto
* White or pink flowers to 2 1/2"; pear-shaped 1/3-2/3" hips, shiny red or red-orange; suckers to form thickets; native to woods, dunes, and prairies from Nova Scotia to Maryland and Texas * It is being investigated as a food that is capable of reducing...
A very ornamental plant, it prefers a continental climate with hot summers and cold winters. * This species has a symbiotic relationship with certain soil bacteria, these bacteria form nodules on the roots and fix atmospheric nitrogen.
, Hibiscus simplex L. * The Chinese parasol tree or wutong , Chinese : ?? , Firmiana platanifolia , or Sterculia platanifolia L.f. ) is an ornamental plant or tree of the cacao, or chocolate, of the family Sterculiaceae of the order Malvales , native...
Common Name: Chinese Parasol Tree, Chinese Parasoltree, Wutong
* Thistley plants for full sun and poor dry soil; the half-inch flower heads, also like thistles, can be a fine metallic blue or blue purple; flowers in mid to late summer; in rich soil the plants grow too fast and need staking; may make a big clump of...
* The sprouted seeds can be eaten. This species is native to most of North America east of the Rocky Mountains , excluding the drier parts of the Prairies . It grows in sandy soils and appreciates lots of sunlight.
* American basswood is a stately, wide-spreading tree, 60-80 ft. The tree likes good rich soil, but will grow in dry areas. Tall, occasionally growing taller. * American Basswood, the northernmost basswood species, is a handsome shade and street tree.
* Pterostyrax corymbosa is a deciduous Tree growing to 12 m (39ft 4in) at a fast rate.It is hardy to zone 6. It is in flower from Jun to July. The plant prefers loamy acid and neutral soils, and can grow in very acid soils.It can grow in semi-shade (light...
* A small delicate shrub with 1" white bell-shaped flowers in small clusters from the leaf axils, in early or mid summer; bright green flowers; grayish fruit in fall; prefers moist, acid soil; a good garden shrub in the right conditions; native to the...
The dried leaves and flowers are used to scent and add colour to pot-pourri. Beebalm is the natural source of the antiseptic thymol, the primary active ingredient in modern commercial mouthwash formulas.
* Erythranthe guttata is pollinated by bees, such as Bombus species. * Erythranthe guttata, with the common names seep monkeyflower and common yellow monkeyflower, is a yellow bee-pollinated annual or perennial plant.
* The flowers are considered to be one of the best bee plants in Japan. * Catalpa ovata, the yellow catalpa or Chinese catalpa , is a pod-bearing tree native to China. Speciosa, it is much smaller, typically reaching heights between 20 and 30 feet.
It has a swollen base that tapers to a long, clear bole and its root system is periodically under water. Many kinds of wildlife eat the fruits and it is a favored honey tree. The seed is mainly distributed by water.