Hardy to at least -20°c. * The Globe-flower ( Trollius europaeus ) is a perennial plant of the family Ranunculaceae . Prefers a moist heavy soil. * An herbaceous perennial with lemon yellow flowers to 2", May to August; much planted in gardens, where...
* ‘Sibirica' is a tatarian dogwood cultivar that is noted for its brilliant red stems in winter that are particularly showy on sunny days with snow on the ground. * Similar to Cornus alba but with coral red stems and bluish fruits.
* The young shoots can be eaten cooked. * It is an upright deciduous small tree or shrub growing up to 6 m in height, native to eastern Russia , China , Korea , and Japan. They can also be blanched and used in salads.
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 4
Botanical Name: Aralia elata clean seed
Common Name: Japanese Aralia, Japanese Angelica Tree
It retains its waxy, deep-green leaves for up to 8 years, but once shed are slow to decompose. The leaves can be poisonous. The fruit is a dry capsule 15-20 mm (.60-.79 in) long, containing numerous small seeds .
Its range also includes the Bahamas . * Persea palustris , commonly known as the swampbay , is a tree native to eastern North America, from Texas eastwards to Florida and then extending north to Delaware, mostly on the Gulf Coastal Plain and Atlantic...
Kaempferi; native to Korea, China, Central Asia, and Japan. * The species has reddish-purple flowers; grows in marshes, ditches, and other wet places, even in shallow water; flowering in June and July; needs acid soil in cultivation; many elaborate, unusual,...
The Western Azalea is known to occur as far north as Bandon , Oregon . It is found as far south as the Palomar Mountain area in southern California , with reports that it is found in Baja California , Mexico .
This plant is also cultivated in many European and American gardens. * Easily grown from seed. * Deeply lobed glossy green leaves (2-3' long) form an ornamental mound which usually remains attractive throughout the growing season.
* Paulownia tomentosa (also known as the Empress Tree, Princess Tree or Foxglove Tree; pao tong ?? On young growth, the leaves may be in whorls of three and be much bigger than the leaves on more mature growth.
* It is used cosmetically as an ingredient in almost any preparation made to relieve capillary weaknesses. It produces leaves 3–6" in length that are medium green, turning a nice shade of yellow or yellowish-orange in the fall.
Collection Locale: Pennsylvania
Height: 20 feet
Common Name: American Witchhazel, Witch Hazel, Common Witchhazel
It is used in Korea in the treatment of lumbago, neuralgia, arthritis and oedema. It is adaptogenic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic and diuretic. * The root bark contains saponins, acanthosides, cardiac glycosides and polysaccharides.
The fruits are small round apple-shaped pomes. The fruit can also be used to make pectin. The juice scraped from the peeled trunk has been used as an eye medicine. * Pacific crabapple fruits was prized by indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest, and...
The hirsute leaves are of variable morphology, but commonly found as deltoidal in form and sometimes having up to three lobes. * Swamp-rose Mallow or Rose mallow ( Hibiscus moscheutos ) is a cold-hardy perennial wetland plant that can grow in large colonies.
* Primula denticulata , commonly known as Drumstick primrose or the Himalayan Primrose is a species of primrose that is native to moist alpine regions and Afghanistan to China . However it is commonly cultivated in gardens away from its native range.
The inflorescence is a cyme of up to 10 flowers with pink petals each up to 2 centimeters in length. It is native to western North America from British Columbia to northern California, where it generally grows in moist habitats.
* Flowering in May, with seeds ripe form September to October * They often form forests of considerable extent at elevations of 1200 - 1800 metres. * An evergreen Tree growing to 15 m (49ft 3in) at a fast rate.
Veratrum lobelianum Bernh. * Veratrum album , commonly known as the False Helleborine (also known as White Hellebore , European White Hellebore , White Veratrum ; syn. ), is a medicinal plant of the Liliaceae (lily family) or Melanthiaceae which is native...
The many fruits formed in each inflorescence have long silky appendages which, seen together, give the characteristic appearance of Old Man's beard . * Clematis vitalba is a climbing shrub with branched, grooved stems , deciduous leaves, and scented greeny-white...
Quantity: 1.91 lb
Common Name: Traveller's Joy, Evergreen Clematis, Old-man's Beard
It commonly grows to about 20 cm or higher. This plant usually grows in wet places, especially in grasslands and forests . * The Asian Globeflower ( Trollius asiaticus ) is an ornamental plant of the family Ranunculaceae , which is native to Asia and...
A delicately scented essential oil, obtained from the roots, has been used to adulterate the oil of Acorus calamus. * Iris pseudacorus is a species of Iris , native to Europe , western Asia and northwest Africa .