* Centaurea americana , commonly called American Starthistle or American Basketflower , is an annual native to the southern central United States and northeastern Mexico. * The plant looks similar to the thistles but lacks their prickly characteristics...
* Succeeds in poor soils and on dry walls. * A very ornamental plant. * An annual with white, lilac, pink, maroon, and carmine flowers; easy from seed, they start flowering 6 weeks after sowing and continue until frost; native to Europe.
* Eriodictyon californicum is a species of plant within the Boraginaceae family. The smaller branches and foliage are coated in a sticky resin and are often dusted with black fungi, Heterosporium californicum.
* Succeeds in a good loamy soil that does not become too dry in summer, in full sun or light shade. A very ornamental plant, when fully dormant it is hardy to about -15°c, though the young growth in spring can be damaged by late frosts.
It is easily recognised by its attractive three-petaled white flowers, opening from late spring to early summer, that rise above a whorl of three, leaf-like bracts. * The plant is most common in rich, mixed upland forests.
It flowers from mid-summer to the first frosts, makes an attractive backdrop in garden plots, and is very attractive to butterflies, bees, and other nectar-feeding insects. The upper stems are reddish or purplish.
* The unopened flower buds are eaten cooked. It grows in sandy soils and appreciates lots of sunlight. They are used like broccoli. * The latex in the stems is a suitable replacement for chicle and can be made into a chewing gum.
* Nepeta cataria (also known as catnip , catswort , or catmint ) is a plant in the Lamiaceae family. The 2 to 3 inch leaves are ovate to cordate, opposite, and coarsely toothed, they are covered with soft, white fuzz.
The plants have showy blooms in early to mid spring. * A biennial with pretty four-petaled fragrant flowers in loose clusters, white to purplish and everything in between; the main flowering is in May in New York state; native to Europe, but naturalized...
It is hardy and not easily outcompeted by other plants. * It is attractive to butterflies and birds. * A slender, hairy-stemmed plant bearing flower heads with drooping, yellow rays surrounding a roundish to ellipsoid, grayish central disk darkening to...
Seeds Per Pound: 463,080
Germination Test Type: cut
Common Name: Yellow Coneflower, Prairie Coneflower, Gray-head Coneflower, Gray-head Mexican-hat
* Swamp-rose Mallow or Rose mallow ( Hibiscus moscheutos ) is a cold-hardy perennial wetland plant that can grow in large colonies. The hirsute leaves are of variable morphology, but commonly found as deltoidal in form and sometimes having up to three...
Height: 4-7 feet
Common Name: Common Rose Mallow, Crimsoneyed Rosemallow, Marsh Mallow
* The plant contains helenalin, a compound that has shown significant anti-tumour activity. * Bright flowers of daisyish form, yellow ray petals and yellow-brown centers, from July to October; forms large clumps; parent of many hybrids; native to swamps...
It is drought-tolerant and grows well in warm climates. The plant produces pods containing yellow seeds with papery wings. * Yellow Trumpetbush is an attractive plant that is cultivated as an ornamental .
* Trifolium pratense (red clover) is a species of clover native to Europe, Western Asia and northwest Africa, but planted and naturalised in many other regions. For these reasons, it is used as a green manure crop.
* Echinops ritro is a species of globe thistle . It is native to Europe and western Asia . Blooms late summer to early fall. * If all the flowers are removed early in the season, the plant will often produce a second flush of bloom later in the summer.
Pedicel 0-3 mm, glabrous or pubescent. Panicles erect, lateral, congested or lax, 4-16(-20) × 3-8(-10) cm. Corolla purple, lilac, or sometimes white; tube subcylindric, 0.6-1.7(-2.2) cm; lobes ovate-orbicular to oblong or obovate-orbicular, 4-8(-10)...
* Syringa komarowii is a species of lilac native to central China, commonly called Nodding Lilac. It is a shrub growing to 3-6 m tall, with erect branches. * Lilac flowers in nodding terminal clusters to 6"; leaves to 6"; native to China.