The roasted seeds are a coffee substitute. * Crataegus monogyna , known as Common Hawthorn , is a species of hawthorn native to Europe , northwest Africa and western Asia . The flowers are used in syrups and sweet puddings.
Common Name: Singleseed Hawthorn, Oneseed Hawthorn, European Hawthorn
S Gansu (Min Xian, Xigu), E Qinghai (Haiyan Xian, Xining Shi), E Xizang (Sog Xian) [Kazakhstan, Russia (Siberia); SE Europe (Bosnia, Croatia)]. * A versatile mid sized, prolific flowering shrub that is quite cold hardy.
* Elaeagnus commutata ( American Silverberry or Wolf-willow ), is a species of Elaeagnus native to western North America , from southern Alaska through British Columbia east to Manitoba , and south to Utah and across the upper Midwestern United States...
Botanical Name: Elaeagnus commutata
Seeds Per Pound: 3,348
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 3
Common Name: Silverberry, American Silverberry, Wolf-willow, Wolf Willow
* Cone-like fruits with bright red seeds mature in fall and can be showy. * Dirr describes this as a really beautiful plant. * It was the first magnolia to be scientifically described, and is the type species of the genus Magnolia ; as Magnolia is also...
Syriacus is a hardy deciduous shrub. * A shrub or small tree, with erect branching; sometimes rather scraggly; grown for its big, conspicuous late summer flowers, 4", white, "blue," purple, or red, in mid to late summer; seems to flower well in shade...
* Mexican-buckeye, an 8-12 ft., deciduous tree, can reach 30 ft. * From a distance the plants in full flower resemble redbuds or peaches. Livestock seldom browse the toxic foliage, but bees produce fragrant honey from the flowers.
A mild sweet taste, its main use is as a mild and gentle laxative, though it is also used as a sweetener in sugar-free preparations and as an anti-caking agent. * It is frequently grown as an ornamental tree in Europe north of its native range, grown...
* An infusion of the roots has been used as a wash to treat sore eyes. * 2 1/2" pink flowers, single or in small clusters; 1/2" bright red hips, lasting into winter; dark green foliage, purple, orange-red, crimson, and yellow in fall; grows very quickly;...
Common Name: Virginia Rose, Prairie Rose, Common Wild Rose
* The "blue" refers to a substance secreted by the inner bark when exposed to air, not to the leaves, which are dark green, pale yellow in fall, or to the bark, which is gray, platelike, and sometimes shaggy; tolerant of drought and lime, perhaps a good...
* Tilia platyphyllos is a deciduous tree native to much of Europe , including locally in southwestern Great Britain , growing on lime -rich soils. Cordata; varies a good deal, and several cultivars are grown; often used in Europe, where it is native,...
Datura wrightii is classified as a deliriant and an anticholinergic. * The flowers are the most striking feature, being sweetly fragrant white trumpets up to 20 cm (8 inches) long, often tinted purple, especially at the margin.
* The essential oil that is obtained from the flowers is exquisitely scented and has a very wide range of applications, both in the home and commercially.It is commonly used in soap making, in making high quality perfumes (it is also used in 'Eau de Cologne'),...
Other common names include Ghora neem (Ghora meaning horse) in Bengali Hebbevu in Kannada and Vilayati (foreign) neem in Bundelkhand region, and Bakain in Haryana, Rajasthan, East Uttar Pradesh and Jharkhand region of India.
* The fruit can be used as a pickle like olives. * Grown for its masses of glorious, delicate, white, slightly fragrant flowers in May; of open, spreading habit; native to the southeastern United States but hardy nearly everywhere; dark green leaf sometimes...
Common Name: White Fringetree, Old Man's Beard, Grancy Grey Beard
Although the natural growth is a very irregular shape, it can be readily pruned into a conventional tree shape. It is commonly seen in washes and along riverbanks at elevations below 1500 m in its range.
* Rhododendron schlippenbachii ( Royal Azalea ) is a species of Rhododendron native to the Korean Peninsula and adjacent regions of Manchuria ( Liaoning , Nei Mongol ), Japan , and the Russian Far East .
The white flowers bloom in spring and summer and are highly fragrant. * It has been in cultivation in China for at least a thousand years, and was introduced to English gardens in the mid 18th century.
* CLIMBER growing to 7 m (23ft) at a fast rate. * It is in flower from June to August. * The plant contains the antiseptic and antitumor compound aristolochic acid. * It attaches itself by means of twining around other plants, it has been recommended...
* The tree species Maackia amurensis is commonly known as the Amur maackia. Used for the interior of houses, utensils, tool handles etc. The species epithet and common names are from the Amur River region, where the tree originated.
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 4
Common Name: Buergeri Amur Maackia, Asiatic Yellowwood
* A decidious Tree growing to 12 m. * It is in flower from Jul to August, and the seeds ripen in September. * Large shrub or small tree; silvery bark; dark green leaves; flowers fragrant, white to light pink.
Height: 40 feet
Common Name: California Horse Chestnut, California Buckeye
Privets are fast growers and do well as long as they are planted in well-drained soil. Good tree for beginners because the stems are flexible and responsive to shaping. Plant indoors or out in full sun and shade in warmer climates.
* A very acceptable chocolate substitute can be made from a paste of the ground-up flowers and immature fruit. * Tilia cordata ( Small-leaved Lime , occasionally Small-leaved Linden) is a species of Tilia native to much of Europe and western Asia , north...
Height: 60-100 feet
Germination Test Type: cut
Crop Year: 2009
Common Name: Little-leaf Linden, Littleleaf Linden