* Flowers and fruit are conspicuous. * Common names in other Namibian language groups Oshiwambo Otjiherero Kavango languages Omuwombamenje Caprivi languages Setswana Afrikaans Lemoendoring Deutsch Khoekhoegowab Bushman languages Gruenhaarbaum ?Khas
* It grows to a height of 3 metres and has whorls of striking lipped flowers, that are most commonly orange, but can vary to red, white, and purple. It has very soft serrated leaves that can grow up to 4 inches wide.
Botanical Name: Leonotis nepetifolia
Seeds Per Pound: 340,500
Common Name: Christmas Candlestick, Klip Dagga, Lion's Ear
For the densest cover plants should be cut to ground level each April. The solitary flowers are 3–5 cm in diameter, a rich yellow, with five petals and numerous yellow stamens . It is indigenous to southeast Europe and southwest Asia .
* Seed - best sown as soon as it is ripe in a warm greenhouse. They can survive slight frosts, however, and have succeeded outdoors in the Scilly Isles. The flowers are white or pinkish followed by woody, rounded fruits which are 2 to 3.5 cm in diameter.
This species is hardy to about -5°c. Keep the soil moist and pot up as soon as the plants are big enough to handle, planting them out after the last expected frosts. * Tree tobacco is native to South America but it is now widespread as an introduced...
* Fontanesia is a genus of flowering plants in the family Oleaceae , usually treated as comprising a single species Fontanesia philliraeoides , though some authors split this into two species (see below).
* A majestic sturdy tree when mature, flat topped and wide spreading with a horizontal branching habit; likes dry air and full sun; dark green needles; native to Asia Minor. * As a result of long exploitation, few old trees remain in Lebanon, but there...
It is juicy, sweet, fleshy, slightly aromatic. * The fruit is edible raw. * American Beautyberry ( Callicarpa americana ) is an open-habit, native shrub of the Southern United States which is often grown as an ornamental in gardens and yards .
* In traditional herbalism columbine was considered sacred to Venus; carrying a posy of it was said arouse the affections of a loved one. * This mixed wildflower perennial is a double form of columbine that has been used in gardens for a long time, due...
Crop Year: 2005
Quantity: 1.28 lb
Common Name: European Columbine, Columbine, Dwarf Columbine
Besides mescaline, it also contains varying phenethylamines and other substances in minimal proportions * Today it is still used by Curanderos (medicine men) of northern Peru. * The active compound is 3,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine or mescaline which...
* This species of pearlbush is an early-blooming, upright deciduous shrub that is native to Manchuria and Korea. 'Northern Pearls' is a compact cultivar that grows to 6-8' tall and features racemes (3-5" long) of 5-petaled white flowers (to 2" diameter)...
Botanical Name: Exochorda serratifolia
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 78
Common Name: Pearl Bush, Sawtooth Pearlbush , Pearl Tree
The dainty, round and pointed, heavily variegated olive green to coppery green foliage is randomly splashed with silver and white. This tiny trailing Hoya or Waxflower creates a dense mat of foliage that is perfect for spilling from larger containers...
Soil & Moisture: Well-drained, average moist soils. Not soggy.
Epiphyllums are one of the few true jungle Cacti where they are often found growing with the orchids and bromeliads far removed from the forest floor. If pollinated the flowers can mature into deliciously edible fruit.
It prefers light soils with a high phosphorus content. * Other names by which this grass is known include dhaman grass, anjan grass and koluk katai. * African foxtail grass is native to tropical Africa, the Mediterranean region and the hotter and drier...
Established plants are drought tolerant, succeeding in hot dry positions. * An attractive, variable plant, often with a vertical central leader, horizontal side branches, and drooping branchlets; a loose, open habit; sharp, needlelike bright green foliage;...
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 5
Common Name: Needle Juniper, Temple Juniper, Temple Juniper
There are two subspecies of Asystasia gangetica and the African form, A. Micrantha, (1/2" long pure white flowers with purple spot on lower lips) is considered to be much more of an aggressive and invasive pest problem than A.
Outdoor Light: *Full sun, Part sun, AM sun, Part shade
Indoor Light: Direct sunlight, High
Grows To: 8-12"H x 24-36"W
USDA Cold Hardiness Zones: 9,10,11
Soil & Moisture: Average moist, well-drained, moderately fertile soils. Somewhat resistant to periodic drought once well-established.
* A widespread urban myth is that pampas grass is used by swingers to advertise their presence to other swingers in the area. The most commonly repeated version states that in the UK and Ireland a patch of pampas grass is planted somewhere in the front...
* 3" yellow-orange flowers in midsummer; native to southern U.S. * Coreopsis grandiflora is a perennial plant species of the tickseed genus, Coreopsis, in Asteraceae. The common name is large-flowered tickseed.
* It can be hard to distinguish them, one of the main distinguishing characteristics is the color of the smooth bark on mature trees which varies from pink to grey to pure white, as well as the mature form which tends to be much more spreading than C.
The fruit is up to 18mm long, it has a thin pulp and contains 1 - 3 rounded seeds. * Grown for its masses of glorious, delicate, white, slightly fragrant flowers in May; of open, spreading habit; native to the southeastern United States but hardy nearly...
Giraffe Amaryllis makes an easy container plant and will slowly multiply and is a reliable winter flowering Amaryllis often producing two flower stalks per large bulb. An unusual hybrid Amaryllis, Giraffe produces 5" wide greenish to yellowish flowers...
Glauca is hardy to Zone 4). Glauca is the commonly cultivated variety of this tree for areas outside of the Pacific Northwest, and is clearly a better selection for midwestern climates than the species because of its better cold tolerance (species is...