* It is popular in its native China for reforestation, roadside planting and as an ornamental tree. Its characteristics of rot resistance and a very high ignition point ensures the timber's popularity in the world market.
Height: 60-75 feet
Collection Locale: China
Botanical Name: Paulownia fortunei
Common Name: Dragon Tree, Fortunes Empress Tree, Sapphire Tree, Phoenix Tree
* The glorious elm that used to line American streets. * Dirr notes that several forms occur, but the one most of us recall fondly divided into several major trunks topped by spreading, arching, pendulous branches.
* Buddhist legend tells that Gautama Buddha attained enlightenment (bodhi) while meditating underneath a Ficus religiosa. It belongs to the Moraceae, the fig or mulberry family. The leaves are cordate in shape with a distinctive extended drip tip; they...
It is valued for its use in the pulp industry to make paper. It was originally discovered near the village of Zaovine on the Tara Mountain in 1875, and named by the Serbian botanist Josif Pancic ; the epithet omorika is simply the Serbian word for "spruce";...
* Sourwood or sorrel tree (Oxydendrum arboreum, /??ks??d?ndr?m ?r?b??ri?m/) is the sole species in the genus Oxydendrum, in the family Ericaceae. * A lovely native American with shiny dark green leaves, red, yellow, and purple in fall; an ericaceous plant...
Quantity: 2.31 lb
Height: 50-75 feet
Common Name: Sourwood, Lily Of The Valley Tree, Sorrel Tree
* Succeeds in most soils and pH types, but dislikes growing in wet soils, especially when these are of clay. * In the wild, eastern redbud is a frequent native understory tree in mixed forests and hedgerows.
* Can be grown as a small ornamental tree. The red seed pods are brilliant, opening to revel shiny black seeds. * Common in thickets and in thin secondary forests in lowlands and low mountains of central and southern Japan.
* Stewartia ovata (Mountain Camellia; also Stuartia ovata) is a species of Stewartia native to low to mid-elevations in the southern Appalachian Mountains. The leaves are oval with an acute apex, 7-13 cm long and 3-6 cm broad, and turn orange, red, or...
Botanical Name: Stewartia ovata
Height: 10-15 feet
Common Name: Mountain Camellia, Mountain Stewartia, Summer Dogwood
* Paulownia is extremely fast growing; up to 20 feet in one year when young. * Recently, Paulownia has received a great deal of interest for its environmental properties and has been put forward as a potential solution to the global deforestation problem...
They drop their leaves, and grow new ones, within a few weeks in spring. * Depending on the growing conditions, live oaks vary from the shrubby to large and spreading: typical open-grown trees reach 15 meters (50 feet) in height, but may span nearly 50...
* Horticulturally, it is a popular choice for street trees in urban settings because it is very drought tolerant and can survive harsh environments. * Foliage dark green in summer, orange or orange red in fall.
* It was the first magnolia to be scientifically described, and is the type species of the genus Magnolia ; as Magnolia is also the type genus of all flowering plants , this species can be seen to typify all flowering plants.
* A gold-coloured dye is obtained from the bark. It prefers deep, rich, and rather moist soil; it is common, though not abundant, nor is it solitary. * The flowers are large, brilliant, and on detached trees numerous.
Height: 170 feet
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 4
Common Name: Tuliptree, Tulip Poplar, Yellow Poplar, Whitewood, American Tulip Tree, Tulip Magnolia
* Grows very fast with masses of tiny yellow flowers, blue leaves and delicate textures. * A shrub or tree in the legume family. * Native to Southeast Australia. * The scientific name of the species honors the botanist Frederick Manson Bailey.
Quantity: 4.48 lb
Common Name: Cootamundra Wattle, Golden Mimosa, Bailey Acacia
* An evergreen Tree growing to 25 m (82ft) by 4 m (13ft) at a slow rate. * The Subalpine Fir or Rocky Mountain Fir ( Abies lasiocarpa ) is a western North American fir , native to the mountains of Yukon , British Columbia and western Alberta in Canada...
This impressive tree features a graceful form and large leaves that change from verdant green to stunning sunset hues of yellow, orange and red. Shipped unbranched, 3-4 feet.The USDA hardiness zones offer a guide to varieties that will grow well in certain...
The flowers are hermaphrodite (have both male and female organs) * The root is used in the treatment of rheumatism and other bone diseases. * Alangium platanifolium is a deciduous Shrub growing to 3 m (9ft) by 2 m (6ft).
* Persea palustris , commonly known as the swampbay , is a tree native to eastern North America, from Texas eastwards to Florida and then extending north to Delaware, mostly on the Gulf Coastal Plain and Atlantic Coastal Plain but extending into the Piedmont...
* Fraxinus velutina ( Velvet Ash or Arizona Ash or Modesto Ash ) is a species of Fraxinus native to southwestern North America , in the United States from southern California east to Texas , and in Mexico from northern Baja California east to Coahuila...
It is highly valued for posts and fencing rails, and is also used for interior finishes, cabinet work etc. The tree is fairly free from fungal diseases and has few insect enemies. * Many people grow this tree in the Southern USA just so they can gather...