* Rhododendron catawbiense ( Catawba Rhododendron ) is a species of Rhododendron native to the eastern United States , growing mainly in the Appalachian Mountains from Virginia south to northern Alabama .
To be able to compete successfully in such habitats, it has adapted greater shade tolerance than most other pines. * Pinus glabra differs markedly from most other pines in that it does not occur in largely pure pine forests, but is typically found as...
A decoction of the roots has been used in the treatment of kidney complaints and TB. * The bark is cathartic, febrifuge and tonic. The roundleaf dogwood is also a temperate, northeastern North American species that occurs throughout southern and eastern...
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 5
Common Name: Roundleaved Dogwood, Roundleaf Dogwood
D??m?st?k?/ ) commonly known as heavenly bamboo or sacred bamboo , is a suckering shrub in the Barberry family, Berberidaceae . It is native to eastern Asia from the Himalaya east to Japan * Evergreen except in cold climates; delicate compound leaves,...
* The Subalpine Fir or Rocky Mountain Fir ( Abies lasiocarpa ) is a western North American fir , native to the mountains of Yukon , British Columbia and western Alberta in Canada Conservation Plant Characteristics Abies lasiocarpa (Hook.) Nutt.
* An easily grown and very tolerant plant, it succeeds in most positions in any good soil in sun or partial shade. * Iris foetidissima ( Stinking Iris , Gladdon , Gladwin Iris , Roast-beef Plant , Stinking Gladwin ), is a species of Iris found in open...
* Pinus nigra is a large coniferous evergreen tree, growing to 20–55 metres (66–180 ft) high at maturity and spreading to 20 to 40 feet wide. * Tall conical form, considered the most typical of the species.
It is an evergreen tree that is native to the Southeastern United States in North America. Redbay is a perennial, with a non-herbaceous stem that is lignified. * Persea borbonia can be present as either a small tree or a large shrub.
The branches, roots, leaves, and seeds are a source of many alkaloids, which are used to treat leukaemia and lymphosarcoma. Sinensis to be synonymous with Cephalotaxus harringtonia * Very tolerant of pruning, this plant makes a very good hedge in shady...
* A majestic sturdy tree when mature, flat topped and wide spreading with a horizontal branching habit; likes dry air and full sun; dark green needles; native to Asia Minor. * The crown is conic when young, becoming broadly tabular with age with fairly...
They are leathery, hairless, and darker and shinier on the upper surfaces. The flower has five white petals each about a centimeter long. The inflorescence is a cluster of fragrant flowers occurring at the ends of branches.
Extremely adaptable and common in the sandy or clay-sand ridges of Georgia. * Pinus palustris , commonly known as the Longleaf Pine , is a pine native to the southeastern United States , found along the coastal plain from eastern Texas to southeast Virginia...
Collection Locale: Georgia
Seeds Per Pound: 5,146
Height: 98-110 feet
Common Name: Longleaf Pine, Longleaf Yellow Pine, Southern Yellow Pine
In the vase some new flowers may open from the more mature buds. Syriacus is a hardy deciduous shrub. Common names include Rose of Sharon (especially in North America), rose mallow (United Kingdom) and St Joseph's rod (Italy).
A carpeting plant, growing fairly fast and carpeting as it spreads. * This extremely winter hardy, prostrate, slow-growing, evergreen shrub or ground cover will typically grow to 6-12" high and 3-6' wide.
Requires shade from the midday sun. Once the seeds have ripened in mid-autumn the red capsules burst open, scattering the orange seeds up to 15 feet. The plant is notable for its photosynthetic stems and its seed distribution method.
They are very attractive to bees whilst the fruit is a good winter food source for many species of birds. * A very ornamental plant, it is hardy to about -15°c. Petiole 4–8 mm, initially densely yellow tomentose, subglabrous when old; stipules linear-lanceolate,...
Used for making jams. When sugar is added, the fruit juice is similar to grape juice. It is native from British Columbia to northern Mexico. Unfortunately, there is relatively little flesh and a lot of seeds.
The leaves are spirally arranged but twisted at the base to lie in two horizontal ranks, 1–2 cm (0.39–0.79 in) long and 1–2 mm (0.039–0.079 in) broad. Unlike Bald Cypress and Pond Cypress , Montezuma Cypress rarely produces cypress knees from...
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 56
Botanical Name: Taxodium huegelii
Common Name: Montezuma Baldcypress, Montezuma Bald Cypress
The fruit is a dry capsule 15-25 mm long, containing numerous small seeds .There are two subspecies : Rhododendron ponticum subsp. Description It is a dense, suckering shrub or small tree growing to 5 m tall, rarely 8 m.
Seeds Per Pound: 4,000,000
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 88
Crop Year: 2001
Botanical Name: Rhododendron ponticum
Common Name: Ponticum Rhododendron, Pontic Rhododendron, Common Rhododendron
The flowers are white, borne in early spring. * Shiny dark green evergreen leaves, emerging bronzy in spring; white slightly fragrant flowers in pendulous masses; neat upright habit; prefers moist, well-drained, acid soil, but doesn't insist on it; needs...