* This is an excellent plant to use for cut flowers and dried flowers. They keep their blue color well after drying. * It is very cold hardy, coming from Siberia, and will also tolerate drought and saline conditions.
An important forestry tree in Europe it is native to central and south central Europe and Turkey. The leaves ("needles") are thinner and more flexible in western populations. A widely used landscape tree especially in the Midwest and East.
It can be trimmed so long as it is not cut back into old wood. * Cupressus macrocarpa , commonly known as Monterey Cypress or Macrocarpa , is a species of cypress endemic to the central coast of California .
* A decoction of the leaves has been used in the treatment of chills and fevers. * A decoction of the roots has been used in the treatment of chest pains and stomach aches. * A very ornamental plant! * Succeeds in ordinary rich garden soils so long as...
* Tian Nan Xing has been used in Chinese herbal medicine for thousands of years and is valued especially for its beneficial affect upon the chest. When prescribed internally it is always used dried and in conjunction with fresh ginger root.
Seeds Per Pound: 14,982
Height: 12-18 inches
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 26
Crop Year: 2008
Germination Test Type: cut
Common Name: Amur Jack In The Pulpit, Tian Nan Xing
A fragrant tea is made from the fresh or dried leaves. * Can reach 1.5 m (5 ft) tall, rarely 2 m (6 ft 7 in).The leaves are evergreen , 2–4 cm (0.8–1.6 in) long and 2–5 mm broad, green above, and white below with dense short woolly hair.Flowering,...
It is a food that can easily be eaten in quantity and can be used as a staple food in the diet. * It is the national tree of Chile. Because of the great age of this species it is sometimes described as a living fossil.
Common Name: Monkey Puzzle Tree, Monkeypuzzle Tree
It can also be pulverised and made into a drink. This species is cultivated as a chaparral landscaping plant and it is used to stabilize soil against erosion on mountain slopes. * The shrub blooms in spherical clusters of urn-shaped whitish manzanita...
Common Name: Pine-mat Manzanita, Pinemat Manzanita, Hardy Manzanita
* The Bishop Pine ( Pinus muricata ) is a pine with a very restricted range: mostly California , USA , including some offshore islands, and a few locations in Baja California , Mexico , and always on or near the coast, from Trinidad Head in Humboldt County,...
* The bark is smooth and light grey, often becoming somewhat rougher with light tan fissures as the tree ages. * Due to the tree of heaven's weedy habit, landowners and other organisations often resort to various methods of control in order to keep its...
* Sheep's sorrel is a detoxifying herb, the fresh juice of the leaves having a pronounced diuretic effect. Female flowers are maroon in color. It has green arrowhead-shaped leaves and red-tinted deeply ridged stems, and it sprouts from an aggressive rhizome...
* Both the berries and the root are used and traditionally the plant is believed to promote long life. * Chinese boxthorn is a major Chinese tonic herb with a history of almost 2,000 years of medicinal use.
* Thrives on most soils, being very tolerant of dry sites and of drought when it is established. * This is the most popular landscape cedar, mostly because of it's fast growth and branch density in youth.
Botanical Name: Cedrus deodara
Common Name: Deodar Cedar, Himalayan Cedar, Deodar
A number of people who like the flavour do not like the texture which is often described as being 'snotty'[K]. * Dark green shiny needles to 1 1/4"; may be shrubby or treelike; often used for screens and hedges, topiary; reddish-brown trunk may be very...
* Plants have an extensive root system and can be grown on sand or thin coastal soils in order to bind the soil. * A good fast-growing hedge for exposed maritime conditions. * Baccharis halimifolia ( Eastern Baccharis) , commonly called groundsel bush,...