They are very attractive to bees whilst the fruit is a good winter food source for many species of birds. * A very ornamental plant, it is hardy to about -15°c. Petiole 4–8 mm, initially densely yellow tomentose, subglabrous when old; stipules linear-lanceolate,...
Crop Year: 1991
Seeds Type: db
Common Name: Parney Cotoneaster, Milkflower Cotoneaster
A black dye can also be obtained from the fruit as well as an ink. * Ligustrum vulgare ( Wild Privet , also sometimes known as Common Privet or European Privet ), is a species of Ligustrum native to central and southern Europe , north Africa and southwestern...
The flower has five white petals each about a centimeter long. * Very tolerant of pruning and maritime exposure, it can be grown as a wind resistant hedge. It is a shrub which can reach several meters tall and become treelike.
Height: 10-15 feet
Quantity: 1.53 lb
Common Name: Tobira Pittosporum, Japanese Cheesewood, Japanerse Mock-orange
* Wolfberry species are deciduous woody perennial plants , growing 1–3 m high. * The fruit is one of the most popular tonics used in Chinese herbal medicine. * Chinese boxthorn is a major Chinese tonic herb with a history of almost 2,000 years of medicinal...
* This is an excellent plant to use for cut flowers and dried flowers. * It is very cold hardy, coming from Siberia, and will also tolerate drought and saline conditions. They keep their blue color well after drying.
Pines make an amazing bonsai because the rough bark on their trunks makes them look old early on. Needles tend to be quite long but can be reduced with the pruning techniques. * It is one of the classic bonsai subjects.
Also tolerates some drought. Prune in early spring. * Easily grown in average, medium, well-drained soil in full sun to part shade. Blooms on new growth. Can be grown as a hedge. * Garden Uses Mass or group in the shrub border or native plant garden.
The flowers grow in clusters at the end of each branch; they are white, pink, red or yellow, 2.5–5 cm (0.98–2.0 in) diameter, with a deeply 5-lobed corolla with a fringe round the central corolla tube.
* Baccharis halimifolia ( Eastern Baccharis) , commonly called groundsel bush, consumption weed, cotton-seed tree, groundsel tree or silverling) is a fall flowering evergreen perennial plant of the genus Baccharis which is commonly found in the southeastern...
Height: 10 feet
Botanical Name: Baccharis halimifolia
Common Name: Groundsel, Silverling, Eastern Baccharis, Groundsel Bush, Consumption Weed, Cotton-seed Tree, Groundsel Tree
* 3" yellow-orange flowers in midsummer; native to southern U.S. * Coreopsis grandiflora is a perennial plant species of the tickseed genus, Coreopsis, in Asteraceae. The common name is large-flowered tickseed.
Crop Year: 2013
Common Name: Tickseed, Largeflower Tickseed, Large-flowered Tickseed, Coreopsis
* An attractive shrub or small tree with a short trunk; 2" needles; contorted branches reaching nearly to the ground; of broadly conical form; dark green, much planted in Europe; "an excellent garden tree" (Wyman); native to coastal North America from...
Gallberry nectar is the source of a pleasant honey that is popular in the southern United States. * Ilex glabra , also known as Appalachian Tea , Dye-leaves , Evergreen Winterberry , Gallberry , Inkberry , is a species of holly native to the Eastern and...
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 43
Common Name: Ink Berry, Appalachian Tea, Dye-leaves, Evergreen Winterberry, Gallberry
* Good for saline soils;Native from Washington east to S. The fruit stem resembles a mass of corn flakes. The ashes can be used like baking soda. * Atriplex canescens ( Chamiso , Chamiza , Four wing saltbush , Four-wing saltbush , Fourwing saltbush )...
* The lumber is used for rough carpentry and furniture. In the UK the tree is planted as an ornamental tree in parks and gardens. * In the US and Canada, the European black pine is planted as a street tree, and as an ornamental tree in gardens and parks.
* Current research is examining the leaves as a potential source of anticancer compounds. * Honey locusts can reach a height of 20–30 m (66–100 ft), with fast growth, and are relatively short-lived; about 120 years, some living up to 150.
* Mature shoots are bound into bunches and used as scourers or as besoms. Since Butcher's broom tightens blood vessels and capillaries, it is used to treat varicose veins. Suggested mechanisms to explain this include stimulation of venous alpha 1 and...
* Although research and data is limited, some identified compounds in this plant include thujone, miltirone, oxy-miltirone, tanshinones, camphor, limonene, ?-globulol, trans-caryophyllene, ?-humulene, camphene, ?-pinene, ?-caryophyllene, ?-cadinene, and...
* This 6-8' shrub is "of matchless elegance a its fleecy sprays lovely in their silken lightness" (A. Johnson) & contrasting beautifully with the lush pinnate foliage, in its first reddish growth or its later fresh-green.
This bushy tree apparently grows without the benefit of rainfall, and obtains some water from dew . * Prosopis tamarugo , commonly known as the Tamarugo , is a species of flowering tree in the pea family, Fabaceae .
* Shadscale fruits and leaves provide important winter browse for both domestic livestock and native herbivores. * The seed is used in pinole or ground into a meal and used as a thickener in making bread or mixed with flour in making bread.
* Mountain Pine or Mugo Pine ( Pinus mugo ) is a high-altitude European pine , found in the Pyrenees , Alps , Erzgebirge , Carpathians , northern Apennines and Balkan Peninsula mountains from (mostly) 1,000 m to 2,200 m, occasionally as low as 200 m in...