For optimum results provide your Vitex with a full to mostly sunny location and a well-drained soil. Vigorous, disease and pest resistant shrubs that can be trained into small trees, Vitex are tolerant of a wide range of soil types and growing conditions.
Container Size: Quart / 30 fl.oz. / 887 ml
Soil & Moisture: Average moist, well-drained soils otherwise fairly tolerant.
It is sometimes grown as an ornamental plant in gardens , especially because of its bluish leaves, and also sometimes for its tolerance of hot and dry soil conditions. It also is grown as both a medicinal herb and as a condiment.
* Habitat and Range: sandy, gravelly, or rocky slopes, often growing in areas underlain by limestone bedrock. * The bark is cathartic, febrifuge and tonic. A decoction of the roots has been used in the treatment of kidney complaints and TB.
* Native to the Mediterranean region, statice (also commonly called notchleaf status) is noted for producing clusters of papery, funnel-shaped flowers in summer. * Excellent as a fresh cut flower and for dried arrangements.
* Variable, often rather scrubby; 3-5" needles, opening yellow green, later dark green; grows well on poor sandy acid soils; salt-tolerant, good for coastal areas, where it can ultimately become rather picturesque; native to eastern North America.
* 3" yellow-orange flowers in midsummer; native to southern U.S. * Coreopsis grandiflora is a perennial plant species of the tickseed genus, Coreopsis, in Asteraceae. The common name is large-flowered tickseed.
Common Name: Tickseed, Largeflower Tickseed, Large-flowered Tickseed, Coreopsis
* Baccharis halimifolia ( Eastern Baccharis) , commonly called groundsel bush, consumption weed, cotton-seed tree, groundsel tree or silverling) is a fall flowering evergreen perennial plant of the genus Baccharis which is commonly found in the southeastern...
It is widely grown in regions of the world where the growing season is long enough to allow the fruit to mature. * Gossypium hirsutum , known as Upland Cotton or Mexican Cotton , is the most widely planted species of cotton in the United States, constituting...
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 16
Common Name: Upland Cotton, Mexican Cotton, American Upland Cotton, Wild Cotton
* Cupressus funebris is a medium-sized coniferous tree growing to 20-35 m tall, with a trunk up to 2 m diameter. The foliage grows in dense, usually moderately decumbent and pendulous sprays of bright green, very slender, slightly flattened shoots.
* Many botanists believe that this is merely a southern outlier of the typical North Plateau race of ponderosa pine. Washoensis populations do not warrant distinction as a variety or even a subspecies of P.
* Flowering is in autumn, or in winter in cooler areas; the inflorescences are flower spikes 7–22 cm (3–10 in) high and 5 cm (2 in) broad or so. * Banksia ericifolia responds to fire by seeding, the parent plant being killed.
Height: 3-20 feet
Common Name: Heath-leaved Banksia, Heath-leaf Banksia, Lantern Banksia, Heath Banksia
These two small populations represent what was once a very large forest on the west coast. The surviving trees from this forest are as old as 2000 years. * Dirr calls this tree "genuinely beautiful" but says it's not for the Southeast states in U.S.;...
It is planted commercially in Kenya, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Zambia at high altitudes. It is used for construction, firewood, and railroad ties. * This species often grows in mixed in stands with several other pines and/or junipers, in Arizona most often with...
It has also been introduced to Belize , Costa Rica and Nicaragua , growing at 1200–3000 m altitude. * Often has drooping branchlets; foliage green; half-inch cones; native to Mexico and Central America.
Botanical Name: Cupressus lusitanica
Common Name: Cedar-of-Goa, Mexican White Cedar, Mexican Cypress
The render young seedpods can be cooked and eaten. The pods have been seen as a good antidote for children's complaints. * A good city tree that withstands harsh conditions; delicate bright green compound leaves cast a light shade; has substantial thorns...
It is native to eastern Asia from the Himalaya east to Japan * Evergreen except in cold climates; delicate compound leaves, reddish when new, later blue-green; attractive white flowers in panicles atop the stems, followed by beautiful bright red berries;...
* The Japanese White Pine ( Pinus parviflora ) is a pine in the white pine group, Pinus subgenus Strobus , native to Japan . A shoe growing species, the Japanese White pine, will live an extremely long life.
Germination Test Type: cut
Crop Year: 2016
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 13
Common Name: Japanese White Pine, Five-needle Pine, Japanese Five Needle Pine
* Fontanesia is a genus of flowering plants in the family Oleaceae , usually treated as comprising a single species Fontanesia philliraeoides , though some authors split this into two species (see below).
They keep their blue color well after drying. * It is very cold hardy, coming from Siberia, and will also tolerate drought and saline conditions. * This is an excellent plant to use for cut flowers and dried flowers.