It prefers rich humid soils. It is an umbelliferous plant, in the same group as fennel, cow parsley, elder and giant hogweed. The plant is little used in modern herbalism but has been employed in the treatment of laryngitis and bronchitis.
* Ilex glabra is one of the very few evergreen shrubs (broadleaf or narrowleaf) to thrive in wet sites, noted for its evergreen foliage and upright, spreading, and suckering shrub growth habit when in species form.
Seeds Per Pound: 165,150
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 43
Common Name: Ink Berry, Appalachian Tea, Dye-leaves, Evergreen Winterberry, Gallberry
* Clump-forming tree or shrub, stems extremely prickly, lacy white flower panicles; leaves to 2-6' (that's feet, not inches)!! * The leaves usually have a number of slender prickles, they must be gathered before the prickles harden and are then chopped...
Common Name: Devil's Walkingstick, Devil's Walking Stick
Plants can be grown in containers in pond margins but are then best kept in drier conditions over winter. Kaempferi; native to Korea, China, Central Asia, and Japan. * Prefers a light well-drained soil and a sunny position.
* It is a high altitude mountain tree, growing at altitudes of 3,000-4,000 meters, often occupying the tree line . * Needles to 1" long, in 2 rows forming a trough; barrel-shaped cones, 4", dark violet-black.
This plant usually grows in wet places, especially in grasslands and forests . It commonly grows to about 20 cm or higher. * The Asian Globeflower ( Trollius asiaticus ) is an ornamental plant of the family Ranunculaceae , which is native to Asia and...
* A very ornamental plant. Hybridizes freely with other members of this genus. * Grown for its beautiful red flowers in mid summer. It grows to about a meter tall (when in flower) and has bright red flowers.
* Cliftonia monophylla ( Buck-wheat tree , Buckwheat tree , Titi ) is a tree native to the United States . It burns with a clear, bright flame and is valued as a fuel. * The wood is heavy, close-grained, moderately hard, brittle, not strong.
Botanical Name: Cliftonia monophylla
Height: 12-15 feet
Common Name: Buckwheat Tree, Buckwheat Brush, Titi, Black Tree, Ironwood
* The bark and the leaves are mildly diuretic, expectorant and stimulant. The plant is seldom used medicinally, but is sometimes included in propriety medicines for chronic prostate and bladder disorders.
It is used medicinally and also makes a refreshing tea. This has a relaxing effect on the muscles. * An oil similar to Wintergreen oil (obtained from Gaultheria procumbens) is obtained from the inner bark.
* Pinus peuce ( Macedonian Pine ) is a species of pine native to the mountains of Macedonia , western Bulgaria , Albania , Montenegro , Kosovo , the extreme southwest of Serbia , and the extreme north of Greece , growing typically at (600-) 1,000-2,200...
However it is commonly cultivated in gardens away from its native range. * This is the red flowered form. * Primula denticulata , commonly known as Drumstick primrose or the Himalayan Primrose is a species of primrose that is native to moist alpine regions...
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 2
Botanical Name: Primula denticulata Red
Germination Test Type: cut
Crop Year: 2000
Common Name: Red Drumstick Primrose, Red Drumstick Primula
The wood is strongly resistant to rot, is not eaten by termites, and is easily worked. The general shape of the tree is conical with tiered, horizontal branches that are often somewhat pendulous toward the tips.
* Succeeds in a most humus-rich lime-free soils except those of a dry arid nature or those that are heavy or clayey. The fruit is a dry capsule 15-20 mm (.60-.79 in) long, containing numerous small seeds .
* It is closely related to (and in many respects intermediate between) Silver Fir to the north in central Europe, Greek Fir to the south in southern Greece, and Nordmann Fir to the east in northern Turkey.
* Helenium autumnale is a flowering plant native to North America. * The plant contains helenalin, a compound that has shown significant anti-tumour activity. * Bright flowers of daisyish form, yellow ray petals and yellow-brown centers, from July to...
Common Name: Sneezeweed, Common Sneezeweed, Bitterweed, Helen's Flower, False Sunflower, Large-flowered Sneezeweed, Fall Sneezeweed
It prefers moist soil. * A small tree grown for its ornamental red new growth and its red and yellow fall color. It is in flower in May, and the seeds ripen from Aug to September. It is hardy to zone 6.
Hinkoki Cypess Bonsai features thick tighter foliage making it a great bonsai for training as the foliage can be easily formed. * A similar cypress found on Taiwan is treated by different botanists as either a variety of this species (as Chamaecyparis...
An essential oil is obtained from the leaves and branches, it is used in perfumery and in medicines. The cones are slender, yellow-green ripening brown, 10-15 mm long and 4-5 mm broad, with 6-8 overlapping scales.
Collection Locale: Ukraine
Common Name: Eastern Arborvitae, White Cedar, Arborvitae, American Arborvitae
The branches, roots, leaves, and seeds are a source of many alkaloids, which are used to treat leukaemia and lymphosarcoma. It is native to central and southern China. The wood is used to make furniture, farm implements, crafts, and utensils.
* An herbaceous perennial, forming a basal rosette to 1', from which arise 3' flowering stems with purplish blue (rarely pink or white) flowers resembling scabiosa; likes moist, peaty soil in sun or part shade; native to Europe, north Africa, east to...
Protect the tree in freezing tempreatures . The fruit is used in the treatment of convulsions, excessive sweating and hepatitis. The scale-like foliage will grow in a range of colors yellow, blue and greyish greens are common .