* The tree depends on moisture from snowmelt, rather than from the monsoon rains. * Flaking dark brown bark; 3" leaves; native to Himalayas. * Betula utilis tends to form forests, growing as a shrub or as a tree reaching up to 20 m (66 ft) tall.
* Japanese Maple has been cultivated in Japan for centuries and in temperate areas around the world since the 1800s * Of easy cultivation, it succeeds in most soils preferring a good moist well-drained soil on the acid side and partial shade * Grown for...
* It is upright growing, hardy and sturdy. * Fall color is sensational. * Hardier than green-leaved types. * Bright reddish purple color in spring deepening as summer advances, turning to carmine and scarlet in the fall.
* A decidious Tree growing to 8 m (26ft) by 6 m (19ft). * Japanese Maple has been cultivated in Japan for centuries and in temperate areas around the world since the 1800s * Of easy cultivation, it succeeds in most soils preferring a good moist well-drained...
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 5
Germination Test Type: cut
Seeds Per Pound: 33,596
Quantity: 4.12 lb
Common Name: Japanese Maple, Small Seeded Japanese Maple
The leaves are alternate, simple, long, lanceolate , dark green and resemble those of willow trees (thus the common name), and have fine gray hairs on their undersides. * The scientific name 'salicifolius', described by the botanist Franchet , means 'with...
* It is strong growing an reaches 4 meters in height. * Fall color is sensational. * Hardier than green-leaved types. * The spring color is bright purple-red, black red or maroon in summer, changing to green red or brown red in late summer and then crimson...
Amomum, but with purple or yellowish-red stems, and like that species prefers wet soils. * This late-blooming dogwood is a wide, open, spreading shrub that grows 8-10 ft. Clusters of small, creamy-white flowers are followed by clusters of blue berries.
Common Name: Silky Dogwood, Pale Dogwood, Swamp Dogwood, Kinikinnik
It is adaptable to a wide variety of climatic conditions and is widely used as an ornamental (Burns & Honkala 1990) (USDA hardiness zone 5). Arborescent individuals that have narrowly conical crowns until old age (300 to 400 years) and shrubby krummholz...
The trunk thickens fast and develops some rust colored peeling appearance. This maple needs full sun but should be given partial shade in the summer. Known for its small leaves and gnarly roots this bonsai is dramatic over rock.
* Seeds colected from cultivars such as this may not resemble the mother tree. * The leaves are brick red blended over a deep green color base. * They do not appear variegated but as if the red color has been brushed on.
* The leaves turn attractive shades of purple, red and bronze in autumn. * Effective on banks or slopes for erosion control. * Low informal hedge. * The red (cranberry-like) berries mature in late summer and persist into winter.