, Firmiana platanifolia , or Sterculia platanifolia L.f. ) is an ornamental plant or tree of the cacao, or chocolate, of the family Sterculiaceae of the order Malvales , native to Asia * It is grown as an ornamental in warm regions of North America .
* This late-blooming dogwood is a wide, open, spreading shrub that grows 8-10 ft. Clusters of small, creamy-white flowers are followed by clusters of blue berries. Twigs are grayish-green, becoming purplish-red.
Quantity: 0.6 lb
Botanical Name: Cornus amomum obliqua
Height: 8-10 feet
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 19
Common Name: Silky Dogwood, Pale Dogwood, Swamp Dogwood, Kinikinnik
* The leaves and bark have been used medicinally. Occidentalis; creamy bark; resistant to anthracnose. * The tree is capable of being grown in most temperate latitudes, though it benefits greatly from warm summers.
Taxon: Acer pectinatum Wall. NO ACCESSIONS IN NPGS UNDER THIS NAME. The 5 historical accession(s) associated with this name. Nicholson subsp. Check PlantSearch database of Botanic Gardens Conservation International for possible non-NPGS germplasm.
* The leaf color is a combination of green and red on the same leaf. * The fall color is a "beautiful gold with overtones of crimson for which it is famous." * Makes an excellent larger bonsai specimen.
* This plant is commonly used in Chinese herbalism, where it is considered to be one of the 50 fundamental herbs. * Tolerant of regular trimming, though not into old wood, it can be grown as a dense hedge.
Germination Test Type: cut
Collection Locale: China
Common Name: Oriental Arborvitae, Golden Oriental Arborvitae
* The flowers are very fragrant, they are used in pot-pourri and to make perfumes. * Chimonanthus praecox, also known as wintersweet or Japanese allspice, is a species of flowering plant in the genus Chimonanthus of the family Calycanthaceae, native to...
* A decoction of the leaves has been used in the treatment of colds. * The inner bark has been used for making baskets. * It is the Provincial tree of British Columbia. * It is long-lived; some individuals can live well over a thousand years, with the...
* Mountain hemlock (Tsuga mertensiana) is usually found on cold, snowy subalpine sites where it grows slowly, sometimes attaining more than 800 years in age. Arborescent individuals that have narrowly conical crowns until old age (300 to 400 years) and...
* A stripebark with vivid white stripes on green or gray-green bark; vivid yellow fall color. Striped maple ACPE Summary Duration Perennial Growth Habit Tree, Shrub Native Status L48 (N), CAN (N) Federal T/E Status National Wetland Indicator FACU-, FACU...
Sativus) was formerly widely used in textile processing, providing a natural comb for cleaning, aligning and raising the nap on fabrics, particularly wool. * Fuller's teasel (the cultivar group Dipsacus fullonum Sativus Group; syn.
This tree transplants well. * Mountain Pine or Mugo Pine ( Pinus mugo ) is a high-altitude European pine , found in the Pyrenees , Alps , Erzgebirge , Carpathians , northern Apennines and Balkan Peninsula mountains from (mostly) 1,000 m to 2,200 m, occasionally...
The stems may be smooth or fuzzy, and are often glandular. * Arctostaphylos viscida is a species of manzanita known by the common names whiteleaf manzanita and sticky manzanita . This is a treelike shrub reaching up to five meters in height.
* It is planted as a specimen tree or in mass screenings. Glauca is the commonly cultivated variety of this tree for areas outside of the Pacific Northwest, and is clearly a better selection for midwestern climates than the species because of its better...
Prefers a sheltered semi-shaded position and a light deep moist soil. Conservation Plant Characteristics Chrysolepis sempervirens (Kellogg) Hjelmqvist bush chinquapin CHSE11 Summary Duration Perennial Growth Habit Shrub Native Status L48 (N) Federal T/E...