Leaves typically form a thick, slowly-spreading clump of foliage to 12" tall. * Leaves are often used in floral arrangements. Small dark pink flowers in dense panicles appear within or above the foliage on stout stalks to 16" tall in April.
* The large solitary flower head grows at the top of the stem and sometimes on branches. * Callistephus is a monotypic genus of flowering plants in the aster family, Asteraceae, containing the single species Callistephus chinensis.
It flowers from mid-summer to the first frosts, makes an attractive backdrop in garden plots, and is very attractive to butterflies, bees, and other nectar-feeding insects. Leaves appear in whorls of 3–5.
A decoction is used in the treatment of lung ailments. Each fall, I enjoy it very much since it blooms when most other blooms in the garden are gone. * When it does not freeze, the Confederate rose can reach heights of 12 to 15 feet with a woody trunk;...
Botanical Name: Hibiscus mutabilis
Height: 6-8 feet
Common Name: Dixie Rosemallow, Confederate Rose, Cotton Rosemallow
Miyabeanum , and P. * A perennial poppy with 2-3" pink, red, orange, greenish, or yellow fragrant flowers; most of the leaves are basal; native to Eurasia and to North America from the Arctic to Colorado.
Seeds should produce mostly blue flowers, but may show some breaks to colors of reds, yellows and bicolors. Requires an acid to neutral soil. Some of this nitrogen is utilized by the growing plant but some can also be used by other plants growing nearby.
* The leaves are alternate, bipinnately compound leaves; with a ovate shape and a pinnate venation, they have a green color usually and turns yellow in fall, measuring between 5-10 cm long.The flowers are small and yellow with a touch of red at the base,...
The flowers are red and scented with numerous yellow stamens in the centre. * Paeonia tenuifolia is sometimes called the fern leaf peony . * The narrow, divided leaves are almost thread-like and grow close together on the stems.
Used like potatoes or as a thickener in soups. * The bulb is eaten cooked. * Lilium superbum is a species of true lily native to the eastern and central regions of North America . Common names include, Turk's Cap Lily , Turban Lily , Swamp lily or American...
An infusion of the dried stalks has been used in the treatment of inflammation of the bladder. It is found in wetlands and along the riverine systems of the southeastern United States from Texas to the Atlantic states, its territory extending northward...
Botanical Name: Hibiscus moscheutos
Seeds Per Pound: 42,676
Quantity: 0.8 lb
Common Name: Common Rose Mallow, Crimsoneyed Rosemallow, Marsh Mallow
When taken over an extended period it is said to increase mental efficiency and physical performance whilst helping the body adapt to high or low temperatures and stress. * Grown in moist woods; greenish-white flowers, bright red 1/2" fruit; grown for...
* A sprawling plant unless staked, perhaps best for romping through a semi-wild border; small blue flowers in considerable numbers in midsummer; full sun or part shade, persistent once established; native to China.
Height: 3 feet
Quantity: 0.15 lb
Seeds Per Pound: 134,400
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 28
Common Name: Tube Clematis, Hyacinth-flower Clematis, Bush Clematis
The flowers are golden yellow and sweet scented, are grouped in pendulous racemes upto 25 cm long, and typically bloom in May. * The wood is coarse grained,durable, dark coloured and very hard, it can be used as an ebony substitute.
Seeds Per Pound: 20,044
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 43
Collection Locale: Ukraine
Common Name: Golden Chain Tree, Laburnum, Golden Rain Tree
Hybridizes freely with other members of this genus. * Lobelia cardinalis ( Cardinal Flower ) is a species of Lobelia native to the Americas , from southeastern Canada south through the eastern and southwestern United States , Mexico and Central America...
* Bristly locust is perhaps the best erosion control shrub for steep sloping sites with active erosion. It has the ability to fix nitrogen in the soil, and with light shade it does not inhibit growth of annual and perennial herbs.
A good black dye is obtained from the root if it is mixed with iron sulphate. It is brown otherwise. A delicately scented essential oil, obtained from the roots, has been used to adulterate the oil of Acorus calamus.
* A decidious Tree growing to 10 m (32ft) by 10 m (32ft) at a fast rate. * Foot-long clusters of yellow flowers in midsummer, followed by red or brownish "pods" that persist into fall; Dirr calls it a "beautiful dense tree of regular rounded outline,...
Quantity: 4.71 lb
Crop Year: 2015
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 5
Common Name: Golden Rain Tree, Pride Of India, Varnish Tree
* A fine yellow dye is obtained from the juice of the plant, it is very durable. * Serratula tinctoria , commonly known as Saw-wort , is a species in the genus Serratula . It grows in moist soil, full sun to part shade, and grows up to one meter tall.
), is a medicinal plant of the Liliaceae (lily family) or Melanthiaceae which is native to Europe . Veratrum lobelianum Bernh. * Veratrum album , commonly known as the False Helleborine (also known as White Hellebore , European White Hellebore , White...