* Also commonly called pig squeak because of the noise produced by rubbing a leaf between thumb and finger. * Features large rosettes of leathery, glossy, toothed, rounded, dark green leaves (to 10" long by 8" wide) which are heart-shaped at the base.
* Foot-long clusters of yellow flowers in midsummer, followed by red or brownish "pods" that persist into fall; Dirr calls it a "beautiful dense tree of regular rounded outline, sparingly branched" * It is popularly grown as an ornamental tree in temperate...
Seeds Per Pound: 3,178
Collection Locale: New York
Common Name: Golden Rain Tree, Pride Of India, Varnish Tree
* A sprawling plant unless staked, perhaps best for romping through a semi-wild border; small blue flowers in considerable numbers in midsummer; full sun or part shade, persistent once established; native to China.
* Papaver orientale ( Oriental poppy ) is a perennial flowering plant native to the Caucasus, northeastern Turkey, and northern Iran. * The young seed heads are used as a condiment, they are hot and acrid.
* Its common names include China aster and annual aster. * The large solitary flower head grows at the top of the stem and sometimes on branches. * It is native to China,and it is cultivated worldwide as an ornamental plant.
A decoction is used in the treatment of lung ailments. * Sow seed early spring in a warm greenhouse. * A fibre from the bark is used for making cords and rope. If hoping to grow them as perennials, then it is better to grow them on in the greenhouse for...
Common Name: Dixie Rosemallow, Confederate Rose, Cotton Rosemallow
It is an upright annual (sometimes biennial or perennial ) native to most of North America , and is one of a number of plants with the common name Black-eyed Susan with flowers having dark purplish brown centers.
* Twining vine with 4 inch dark sky-blue flowers. Seed used by Aztecs as a hallucinogen. The leaves are spirally arranged, 3-7 cm long with a 1.5-6 cm long petiole. It is a herbaceous annual or perennial twining liana growing to 2-4 m tall.
Crop Year: 2018
Common Name: Grannyvine, Heavenly Blue Morning Glory
Like many other plants in this family, they are demulcent and emollient and are used in the treatment of dysentery, lung ailments and urinary ailments. An infusion of the dried stalks has been used in the treatment of inflammation of the bladder.
Mollis is widely grown as an ornamental plant, valued for the strongly-scented flowers appearing in winter when little else is growing. * The flowers are yellow, often with a red base, with four ribbon-shaped petals 15 mm long and four short stamens,...
It provides quick, woody, vegetative cover on droughty, critical areas needing stabilizing cover. * Bristly locust is perhaps the best erosion control shrub for steep sloping sites with active erosion.
The long-lasting flowers are borne in terminal clusters and it flowers freely late winter through early summer and then sporadically into early fall. It can be maintained as an indoor container plant by providing a trellis for the vine to climb on or...
Nudicaule has been shown to contain the benzophenanthidine alkaloid, chelidonine . It contains some opium. Miyabeanum , and P. All parts of this plant are likely to be poisonous , containing (like all poppies) toxic alkaloids .
* The spongy bark at the base of the trunk is pliable, absorbent and astringent. Farther south, plants are nearly evergreen. * Common names include Swamp Cyrilla , Titi (U.S.), Bwa wouj (Caribbean), and Leatherwood .
Collection Locale: Ohio
Germination Test Type: Cut
Quantity: 0.1 lb
Common Name: Swamp Cyrilla, Leather- Wood, Swamp Titi, Leatherwood, Red Titi, Black Titi, Common Myrtle, He Huckleberry, Ironwood, White Titi
* The red anthocyanin constituent of the flowers is used as a litmus. * A fibre obtained from the stems is used in papermaking. * A nutritious starch is obtained from the root. * The flowers are demulcent, diuretic and emollient.
Leaves are glabrous above and hairy below. Coarse, aromatic, triangular, doubly-serrate, long-petioled, basal leaves (to 12" long) with cordate bases. * Telekia is a rhizomatous, sunflower-like perennial that is native primarily to mountainous areas in...
All but one are natives of North America and Central America ; the one remaining is from western China . * Symphoricarpos is a small genus of about 15 species of deciduous shrubs in the honeysuckle family, Caprifoliaceae .
* The flowers are produced in early spring at the same time as or slightly before the new leaves appear. * The droopy long leaves provide a 'sleepy' aura to the summer landscape. * The fruit falls from the tree in autumn and is then stored until fully...