A tea is made from the dried leaves and roots. * The peeled roots are cut up and added to soups. The roasted roots are used with dandelion and chicory roots for making coffee. * The hardy plant can grow to a height of 60 cm.Comfrey has been used in folk...
* A narrowly pyramidal tree 25-35 m tall. Abies cilicica , or Cilicia Fir , is a species of conifer in the Pinaceae family. In 2009 at Berenice Troglodytica , the Egypto-Roman port on the Red Sea , archaeologists found: "two blocks of resin from the Syrian...
The red seed pods are brilliant, opening to revel shiny black seeds. * Can be grown as a small ornamental tree. * Common in thickets and in thin secondary forests in lowlands and low mountains of central and southern Japan.
Common Name: Korean Sweetheart Tree, Euscaphis Tree
* It is a large shrub or small tree 3-12 m tall with smooth grey bark even in old age. Northeastern North America, Greenland. * It is sometimes used for afforestation on infertile soils which it enriches by means of its nitrogen-fixing nodules, while...
It typically occurs along streams in mountainous regions. * Betula occidentalis ( Water Birch , also known as Red Birch ) is a species of birch native to western North America , in Canada from Yukon east to western Ontario and southwards, and in the United...
Botanical Name: Betula occidentalis
Germination Test Type: cut
Crop Year: 2002
Common Name: Red Birch, Water Birch, Western Red Birch
It is adaptogenic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic and diuretic. * The root bark contains saponins, acanthosides, cardiac glycosides and polysaccharides. It is used in Korea in the treatment of lumbago, neuralgia, arthritis and oedema.
They can also be blanched and used in salads. * It is an upright deciduous small tree or shrub growing up to 6 m in height, native to eastern Russia , China , Korea , and Japan. * Spiny stems, leaves to 30" long, white flowers.
* Erythranthe guttata is pollinated by bees, such as Bombus species. Both annual and perennial forms occur throughout the species' range. * A decoction of the leaves and stems has been used as a herbal steam bath for chest and back soreness.
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 778
Crop Year: 2015
Quantity: 0.02 lb
Height: 1-2 feet
Common Name: Seep Monkeyflower, Yellow Monkeyflower
Best in part shade. May be grown in moist soils in borders as long as soils do not dry out. * Grow in moist to wet soils in full sun to part shade. * It is native to eastern and central North America, and there are occurrences in the western United States,...
* It is closely related to (and in many respects intermediate between) Silver Fir to the north in central Europe, Greek Fir to the south in southern Greece, and Nordmann Fir to the east in northern Turkey.
This species contains essential oils , tannins , gums and resins . The young shoots are used in making a refreshing cold drink. * It is a perennial plant that develops in a cultivated or wild in the mountains of Peru .
Growing to a height of 10-20 m tall with a 0.4 m trunk diameter, exceptionally to 30 m tall and 1.6 m diameter, the tree is often stunted or prostrate. * An evergreen tree with fan-like branches and scaly leaves.
Seeds Per Pound: 364,624
Germination Test Type: estimate
Common Name: Eastern Arborvitae, White Cedar, Arborvitae, American Arborvitae
* Extracts from the plant have shown anticancer activity. Some botanists consider Cephalotaxus koreana and C. Sinensis to be synonymous with Cephalotaxus harringtonia * Very tolerant of pruning, this plant makes a very good hedge in shady positions.
It is a large suckering shrub that can be grown as a small tree. * For the brightest winter bark, young shoots are encouraged by cutting to the ground some older stems at the end of the winter, before leaves are open.
* A shrubby species with nearly round 1" leaves. * A decidious Shrub growing to 2m. * Native to North America , occurring in arctic and cool temperate areas from Alaska east to Newfoundland and southern Greenland , and south at high altitudes to northern...
This plant usually grows in wet places, especially in grasslands and forests . * The Asian Globeflower ( Trollius asiaticus ) is an ornamental plant of the family Ranunculaceae , which is native to Asia and Europe .
* The wood is reported to endure moisture indefinitely; it has been used for fence-posts, ties and shingles. * It is commonly used for woodenware, cooperage, fence posts, interior finish of houses etc.
), is a medicinal plant of the Liliaceae (lily family) or Melanthiaceae which is native to Europe . * Veratrum album , commonly known as the False Helleborine (also known as White Hellebore , European White Hellebore , White Veratrum ; syn.
* Fevertree or pinckneya is a large, open shrub or small tree, growing 10-30 ft. Flowers are yellowish-green and tubular with five, reflexed lobes. The showy part of the floral display, however, is the white, pink or rose sepals that become petal-like...
The Western Azalea is known to occur as far north as Bandon , Oregon . It is not known to occur east of the Cascade and Sierra Nevada mountain ranges. * Rhododendron occidentale ( Western Azalea ) is one of two deciduous Rhododendron species native to...
* The fruit is very sweet and gelatinous, most people find it delicious though some find it sickly[K]. All other parts of this plant, including the seed, are highly poisonous. Yews will grow buds on new and old wood to accommodate bonsai different styles.(...
* In spring, the plant produces small, bright red flowers with 5-fold symmetry. * Like other members of the genus Sarracenia, the Sweet pitcher plant traps insects using a rolled leaf, which in this species is generally smaller and narrower than most...
* White, unpeeling bark when young, black when older; branches tend to weep; leaves dark green in summer, yellowish in fall; tolerates drought and wet but prefers moist soil * It commonly grows with the mycorrhizal fungus Amanita muscaria in a mutualistic...