* The fruits, stems and roots are diuretic, febrifuge and sedative. * In its native habitat Actinidia chinensis grows in thickets, thick (oak) forests (e.g. Quercus aquifolioides, Quercus oxyodon, Quercus lamellosa), and light secondary forests and bushland.
Resents root disturbance. * Nyssa aquatica ( Water Tupelo , Cottongum , Sourgum , Tupelo-gum , and Water-gum ) is a large, long-lived tupelo tree that grows in swamps and floodplains of the Eastern United States .
Some botanists consider Cephalotaxus koreana and C. * Cephalotaxus sinensis is an evergreen Shrub growing to 5 m (16ft 5in) at a slow rate. Sinensis to be synonymous with Cephalotaxus harringtonia * Very tolerant of pruning, this plant makes a very good...
* The leaves are each made up of several toothed oval leaflets, the terminal leaflet up to 4 centimeters long. * The seed is a good source of vitamin E, it can be ground into a powder and mixed with flour or added to other foods as a supplement.
Plant forms a trunk when grown in standing water. * There are more than 2,500 plants in the palm family worldwide, but only about a dozen are native to the United States. * An understorey shrub of broad-leaved, mainly deciduous woodlands in low-lying...
* The legume is a used as a vegetable in interiors of central and south central India, though not commercially farmed. * Canavalia gladiata, usually called Sword Bean, is a domesticated plant species in the legume (Fabaceae) family.
* A herb tea is made from the dried leaves. * A purple to dull blue dye is obtained from the fruit. * Raspberry fruit may protect the liver. * Polyphenolic compounds from raspberry seeds are efficient antioxidants.
Common Name: Red Raspberry, European Raspberry, Framboise
They can also be blanched and used in salads. * It is an upright deciduous small tree or shrub growing up to 6 m in height, native to eastern Russia , China , Korea , and Japan. * The young shoots can be eaten cooked.
Botanical Name: Aralia elata dried berries
Height: 10-20 feet
Common Name: Japanese Aralia, Japanese Angelica Tree
* Fruit is attractive to wildlife. Also effective in shrub borders, roadside plantings, wet or low areas or as a screen. * Perhaps best when massed in naturalized areas where suckering spread is acceptable.
The roasted seed can be used as a coffee substitute. * Roman soldiers were given chestnut porridge before entering battle. * Sweet chestnut has been listed as one of the 38 substances used to prepare Bach flower remedies, a kind of alternative medicine...
* The fruit is eaten raw or cooked. * The common sea-buckthorn ( Hippophae rhamnoides ) is by far the most widespread, with a range extending from the Atlantic coasts of Europe right across to northwestern China.
* The fruit can also be used for making preserves, pies, ice cream and other sweet desserts. * The fruit falls from the tree in autumn and is then stored until fully ripe. * Trees grown from this seed will exhibit better fruiting qualities than wild collected...
Rich in oil, the seed also contains up to 22% protein. * The American Beech is a shade-tolerant species, favoring shade more than other trees, commonly found in forests in the final stage of succession .
* Pinus serotina ( Pond Pine , Marsh Pine , Pocosin Pine ) is a tree found along the Atlantic coastal plain of the eastern United States , from southern New Jersey south to Florida and west to southern Alabama .
* In Europe it was believed that the plant could cure alcoholism . * Plants are reliably perennial if they are prevented from setting seed. * The stalks can be eaten like celery and the flavor is similar.
It was the main commercial tomato grown in New Jersey for many years. It was used for canning, juice and fresh market. * Newer varieties have taken over the commercial world, as you may notice in your grocery store, that are flavorless and hardBut...
In vernacular use, it is most often known asCunninghamia, but is also sometimes called "China-fir" (though it is not a fir). * It is a genus of one or two species of evergreen coniferous trees in the cypress familyCupressaceae.
* Cold-fX is a product derived from the roots of North American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius). It is used in the treatment of chronic cough, low-grade fever, spontaneous or night sweating and fatigue due to chronic consumptive disease.
They are reliably profuse, arranged in clusters on scarlet pedicels and are 1.5–2 cm in diameter. It infrequently grows as a small tree. The fruit is a sweet but slightly tart cherry 5–12 mm (rarely to 25 mm) in diameter, scarlet, ripening in early...
This plant usually grows in wet places, especially in grasslands and forests . * The Asian Globeflower ( Trollius asiaticus ) is an ornamental plant of the family Ranunculaceae , which is native to Asia and Europe .
It typically occurs along streams in mountainous regions. * Betula occidentalis ( Water Birch , also known as Red Birch ) is a species of birch native to western North America , in Canada from Yukon east to western Ontario and southwards, and in the United...
Germination Test Type: cut
Common Name: Red Birch, Water Birch, Western Red Birch
An excellent nut for raw eating. Its late blooming habit and hardiness, combined with high yield offer lots of potential. * One of the species grown for its nuts; may grow as a tree or, more often, a multi-stemmed shrub; dark green leaves; native to Europe,...
Araucaria araucana is the hardiest species in the conifer genus Araucaria. This is a delicious seed and it makes very pleasant eating. It is a food that can easily be eaten in quantity and can be used as a staple food in the diet.
Height: 50-100 feet
Common Name: Monkey Puzzle Tree, Monkeypuzzle Tree