* A perennial grass, to 3', with erect stems and leaves, very narrow; flowers and seedheads lax; native to Eurasia. * Stipa capillata is a perennial grass species in the family Poaceae , native to Europe and Asia .
Like many members of that genus, it is prized by gardeners for its showy flowers. It is a fairly short variety, growing only to 3 feet high. Integrifolia bears nodding, urn-shaped blue flowers in summer that are 1.5 inches wide.
It blooms in spring. Flowers yellow, 1.5-2 cm in diameter, solitary in leaf axils and without forming inflorescence. * It is found over much of Europe except northern Europe , Ireland , Great Britain , Holland and Poland.
* Pale pink flowers. * This late summer blooming Japanese anemone is a native of China that grows up to 2' tall and features 2-3" diameter, slightly-cupped flowers which have 5 (infrequently 6-7) rose-pink, sepal-like petals and a prominent center ring...
Botanical Name: Anemone hupehensis
Common Name: Chinese Anemone, Japanese Thimbleweed
Corresponding to its species name, a common term for the plant is "dragon herb." It is native to a wide area of the Northern Hemisphere from easternmost Europe across central and eastern Asia to India , western North America , and south to northern Mexico...
* Mirabilis jalapa (The four o'clock flower or marvel of Peru ) is the most commonly grown ornamental species of Mirabilis , and is available in a range of colours. Mirabilis jalapa is said to have been exported from the Peruvian Andes in 1540.
Plants require continuously moist conditions in a loose compost of sphagnum peat, live sphagnum and coarse acid sand. This conflicts with the hardiness rating of 7 (temperatures down to between -5 and -10°c) given in .
The flower consists of six petals curving backward from the center. The bulb is roundish with a diameter of about 2 cm. * The plant flowers in June and July with one to six upright, dish-shaped flowers.
Aromatic and somewhat bitter. They are also used to give colour and flavour to glutinous-rice dumplings (Mochi). * The leaves can be eaten raw or cooked. * Artemisia vulgaris ( mugwort or common wormwood ) is one of several species in the genus Artemisia...
Common Name: Mugwort, Common Wormwood, Felon Herb, Chrysanthemum Weed, Wild Wormwood, St. John's Plant
* The root is harvested in the autumn and used fresh or dried. Rashid Khan s.n. (RAW), Mundakuli, Karnah, Lipa Valley, 17.9.1969, Jan Mohd s.n. (RAW), Keran-Reshna, ± 5500', R.R. & I.D. Stewart 17682 (RAW).
Common Name: Black Snake Root, Bugbane, Foetid Bugbane
* Heart-shaped shiny dark green leaves with prominent veins, 9" x 5"; dark violet flowers in August; a 2' mound, flowers to almost 3'; native to China. Plants should be spaced about 60cm apart each way.
* The leaves are cardiac, stimulant and tonic. * An easily grown plant, succeeding in ordinary garden soil, especially if it is rich in organic matter. They are often used in the treatment of certain heart complaints.
In North America the plant is naturalized. In Europe it is present almost everywhere except the extreme north. * Campanula glomerata is a perennial herbaceous plant growing to a height of 20–60 centimetres (7.9–24 in), with a maximum of 90 centimetres...
* Gentiana acaulis ( Stemless gentian ) is a small gentian native to central and southern Europe from Spain east to the Balkans , growing especially in mountainous regions, such as the Alps , Cevennes and the Pyrenees , at heights of 800 to 3,000 m.
Also known as Carolina allspice, calycanthus is a south- east U.S. native deciduous shrub. Flowers are very fragrant, bright red, magnolia-like, 2" across blooming in May. Flowers form brownish, urn-shaped fruits in fall and persist throughout the winter.
Other trees which frequently shade this trillium include grand fir, western red cedar, and western hemlock; bigleaf maple, red alder and Sitka spruce join in near the coast. In the northern part of its range, which includes southern British Columbia,...
Grows well in heavy clay soils. * Prefers a humus-rich soil, succeeding in a moist border or by water. A very ornamental plant. * Iris sibirica , the Siberian Iris , is a flowering plant in the genus Iris , native to eastern and central Europe and northern...
* Tian Nan Xing has been used in Chinese herbal medicine for thousands of years and is valued especially for its beneficial affect upon the chest. * The root is harvested when the plant is dormant in the autumn or winter and is dried for later use.
), is a medicinal plant of the Liliaceae (lily family) or Melanthiaceae which is native to Europe . Veratrum lobelianum Bernh. * Upright stems topped by 1/2-1" flowers in a branched flower head, white, green, or yellowish; grows in wet, grassy subalpine...