* Use for border garden. * Adenophora (Lilyleaf Ladybell) is a genus of flowering plant within the family Campanulaceae. * Performs better than Campanula in Southern gardens. * Prefers well-drained soil.
* Native to southeastern U.S.; lavender-pink or bluish flowers from mid- to late summer, followed by bright purple, violet, or magenta fruits in great profusion. * American Beautyberry ( Callicarpa americana ) is an open-habit, native shrub of the Southern...
Salvia Blue Hill has rough green foliage with numerous spikes of sky blue blooms rising a moderate 15″ from the compact plant. Salvia Blue Hills is a sun perennial with sky blue spikes of flowers rise above a mound of aromatic gray-green foliage and...
* Unlike virtually all members of this genus, trees of this species can be coppiced. * The wood of the Pinus leiophylla is hard, dense and strong. * This species often grows in mixed in stands with several other pines and/or junipers, in Arizona most...
This perennial is a native plant found throughout the eastern part of the United States and in many parts of the western U.S., Canada , and Mexico . * The lance-leaved coreopsis , Coreopsis lanceolata , is a species of coreopsis (Tickseed).
The plant is desirable fodder when it grows in fields grazed by livestock . The flowers attract bees , butterflies , and hummingbirds . The plant produces pods containing yellow seeds with papery wings.
* This species of pearlbush is an early-blooming, upright deciduous shrub that is native to Manchuria and Korea. 'Northern Pearls' is a compact cultivar that grows to 6-8' tall and features racemes (3-5" long) of 5-petaled white flowers (to 2" diameter)...
* Cupressus stephensonii is a species of conifer known as the Cuyamaca cypress, and is endemic to southern California. Stephensonii and Cupressus arizonica var. It has been classified as Hesperocyparis stephensonii.
* Canavalia pubescens, commonly known as ʻawikiwiki or Lavafield Jack-bean, is a species of flowering plant in the legume family, Fabaceae, that is endemic to Hawaii. It is threatened by habitat destruction, mainly due to introduced grazing mammals.
Glauca is the Rocky Mountain variety of this tree. * The Douglas fir's useful wood and its quick growth make it the crop of choice for many timber companies, which typically replant a clear-cut area with Douglas fir.
Common Name: Douglas Fir
Botanical Name: Pseudotsuga menziesii glauca AZ Apache
It grows to heights of 10-25 m, and its trunk diameter reaches 0.5 m. * It is a medium-sized evergreen tree with a conic to ovoid-conic crown. The leaves are scale-like, 2-5 mm long, and produced on rounded (not flattened) shoots.
It is used as a houseplant and conservatory tree in colder climates. The foliage grows in dense, usually moderately decumbent and pendulous sprays of bright green, very slender, slightly flattened shoots.
* The fruit is a small, dark-purple berry-like drupe, 1 cm wide, hanging in short clusters, and are extremely popular with birds and other wildlife. * The European nettle tree also known as European Hackberry or Lote tree ( Celtis australis ), is a deciduous...
The tree features slender leaves, unlike the multilobed leaves found on most maple species. * Acer fabri (Faber's Maple) is a species of evergreen maple tree native to Vietnam and central to southern China.
* The fruit can also be ground into a powder and used as a spice. Established plants are drought tolerant, succeeding in hot dry positions. It is closely related to Juniperus communis (Common Juniper) and Juniperus conferta (Shore Juniper), the latter...
Botanical Name: Juniperus rigida
Common Name: Needle Juniper, Temple Juniper, Temple Juniper
* Cupressus lusitanica , ( Cedro Blanco ; Teotlate , distinctive names used in Mexico); Cedro Blanco means White Cedar and is also known as Mexican White Cedar , is a species of cypress native to Mexico and Central America ( Guatemala , El Salvador and...
* It is widely planted for timber in its native area, being one of the most important trees in forestry in Algeria and Morocco. * In Israel , the tree has been very successful in Yatir Forest in the northern Negev , where foresters had not expected it...
* Tian Nan Xing has been used in Chinese herbal medicine for thousands of years and is valued especially for its beneficial affect upon the chest. * The root is harvested when the plant is dormant in the autumn or winter and is dried for later use.
* Baccharis halimifolia ( Eastern Baccharis) , commonly called groundsel bush, consumption weed, cotton-seed tree, groundsel tree or silverling) is a fall flowering evergreen perennial plant of the genus Baccharis which is commonly found in the southeastern...
Common Name: Groundsel, Silverling, Eastern Baccharis, Groundsel Bush, Consumption Weed, Cotton-seed Tree, Groundsel Tree
* The only known species is Anemanthele lessoniana, often called gossamer grass or New Zealand wind grass or pheasant's tail grass. * This is a naturally rare grass in the wild but it is widely cultivated for use as an attractive ornamental garden plant.
Lavender flowers and foliage are also popular additions to sachets and potpourris. Leaves are evergreen in warm winter climates. This selection forms a bushy mound of silver foliage, with long spikes of purple-blue flowers.
It is the natural symbol of the island of Tenerife, together with the Blue Chaffinch. * When the bark or leaves are cut they secrete a reddish resin, one of several sources of substances known as dragon's blood.
* Fordhook is a well known and very popular variety of Swiss Chard. It is cold hardy as well as tolerant of heat. * The large stalks are topped by deep green leaves. Excellent for use in salads or steamed.
Mass plantings are spectacular! Grown mostly for its warm orange color and dense clump forming habit. * This is a popular "ornamental grass" even though it is technically a sedge. * It is native to New Zealand where it grows on sand dunes proving its...
Botanical Name: Carex testacea
Common Name: Orange Sedge, Speckled Sedge, Red Switch Grass