* This is an excellent plant to use for cut flowers and dried flowers. * It is very cold hardy, coming from Siberia, and will also tolerate drought and saline conditions. They keep their blue color well after drying.
* Crotalarias are grown in the tropics as green manure cover crops due to their nitrogen fixing capabilities and drought tolerance. * They are occationally grown as ornamentals for their yellow flowers and interesting rattling seed pods.
* 3" yellow-orange flowers in midsummer; native to southern U.S. * Coreopsis grandiflora is a perennial plant species of the tickseed genus, Coreopsis, in Asteraceae. The common name is large-flowered tickseed.
Common Name: Tickseed, Largeflower Tickseed, Large-flowered Tickseed, Coreopsis
Pallida is similar to E. * The flower heads are from ¾ to 3 inches (2 to 7.6 cm) wide with pale rose-purple or nearly white colored petals. Angustifolia , but plants often grow taller, ranging from 1.5 to 2.5 ft (45 to 75 cm) tall, with some growing...
* Succeeds in ordinary garden soil, preferring a moist but not wet soil and a sunny position. * The name of this species is based on the cultivated form, the true wild form is A. * Plants seem to be immune to the predations of rabbits.
Crop Year: 2008
Germination Test Type: cut
Collection Locale: Russia
Common Name: Fan Columbine, Japanese Fan Columbine
They act to disinfect the respiratory tract. * The Lebanon Cedar is the national emblem of Lebanon, and is displayed on the Lebanese flag and coat of arms. * The leaves and the wood are antiseptic and expectorant.
* The female flowers are followed by a red berry, and the seeds are bird-distributed, but the plant also spreads vegetatively by means of rhizomes. It has been used to relieve constipation and water retention and improve circulation.
Spent flowers should be cut back for a repeat performance in fall. Remove spent flower spikes to help extend the bloom period. Plants may repeat bloom throughout the summer. Blue Hill is easily grown in average, dry to medium, well-drained soils in full...
* The small oat-like seeds develop on the side of the stalk. * The grass is also drought- and cold-tolerant and is hardy in zones 4-9. * It is considered a good foraging grass for livestock and is also good for erosion control.
* It is native to tropical Africa and southern India. It has very soft serrated leaves that can grow up to 4 inches wide. * Leonotis nepetifolia, also known as klip dagga, Christmas candlestick, or lion's ear, is a species of plant in the genus Leonotis...
Common Name: Christmas Candlestick, Klip Dagga, Lion's Ear
If plants flop or otherwise depreciate in summer to the point where they look unsightly, consider cutting them back to the basal foliage. Excellent for cutting. Remove spent flower spikes to help extend the bloom period.
The leaves are harvested before and during flowering, the pods are harvested when fully ripe in the autumn. The leaves area safe and effective cathartic. An infusion has been used in the treatment of fevers and heart problems.
Sweet and delicious, but rather fibrous. Prick out the seedlings into individual pots of well-drained soil when they are large enough to handle and grow them on in a sunny position in the greenhouse until they are at least 20cm tall.
* This tree is remarkable for the number and length of the spines growing on its trunk, which makes it the most formidably armed of temperate trees. Some of this nitrogen is utilized by the growing plant but some can also be used by other plants growing...
It is native to southern Europe ( Sicily ), southwestern Asia ( Lebanon , Syria , Turkey ) and eastern Asia ( China ), with two well-separated populations. Fortunei, but is shorter, broader, and more densely branched; small whitish flowers; native to...
* The fruits were eaten by the Apache, Chiricahua, and Mescalero, fresh and preserved for food. * Celtis reticulata is cultivated by plant nurseries and available as an ornamental plant for: native plant, drought tolerant, natural landscape, and habitat...
* Pinus clausa ( Sand Pine , Sandhill Pine ) is a small, often shrubby tree from 5–10 m (16–33 ft), exceptionally to 21 m (69 ft) tall, found in two separate locations, one across central peninsular Florida , and the other in the western Florida panhandle...
It is also found in more mature successions dominated by sagebrush and shadscale. The ashes can be used like baking soda. * The ground up seed can also be mixed with water and drunk as a refreshing beverage.
* All parts of the plant have a distinguishing strong odour that is often likened to rotting peanuts or cashews. * A decidious Tree growing to 25m. * Due to the tree of heaven's weedy habit, landowners and other organisations often resort to various methods...