The leaves are spirally-arranged, large, 20–50 cm (7.9–20 in) in width and on a petiole up to 50 cm (20 in) long, leathery, palmately lobed, with 7–9 broad lobes, divided to half or two-thirds of the way to the base of the leaf; the lobes are edged...
Common names in English include lilyturf, big blue lilyturf, border grass, and monkey grass. * Prefers a sandy soil. A very ornamental plant. Established plants are fairly drought tolerant, they succeed in dry shade.
* Stipa capillata is a perennial grass species in the family Poaceae , native to Europe and Asia . * A perennial grass, to 3', with erect stems and leaves, very narrow; flowers and seedheads lax; native to Eurasia.
Attractive, long trusses of pure white flowers in May are only a prelude to the big show. The Firethorn is wonderful for Christmas decorations. It is very tolerant of dry soil and loves sun but can be planted in partial sun, and ideal for foundation plantings...
* Leaves and flowering tops - raw in salads, used as a garnish or added as a flavouring to cooked foods, going especially well with mushrooms and courgettes. * A woody-stemmed aromatic plant, long used for flavoring foods; sometimes used as a ground cover...
When prescribed internally it is always used dried and in conjunction with fresh ginger root. * Tian Nan Xing has been used in Chinese herbal medicine for thousands of years and is valued especially for its beneficial affect upon the chest.
Crop Year: 2008
Common Name: Amur Jack In The Pulpit, Tian Nan Xing
It is commonly called the Chinese yew, though this term also refers to Taxus celebica or Taxus sumatrana. The tree is up to 14 m (46 ft) tall and wide and bushy when cultivated. The leaves are up to 4 centimeters (11?2 inches) long—broader than those...
* The purple topped turnip root will reach 4-5 inches in diameter and matures in 40 to 60 days. * The tops can also be eaten when young as greens or in soups. * This is a very easy to grow and rewarding vegetable.
Common Name: Turnip, Purple Top White Globe Turnip
Succeeds in dry soils and in poor soils. * An attractive garden flower, blooms in May or June, 1 1/2" flowers, several per stem. * Prefers a neutral to slightly alkaline soil in a sunny well-drained position.
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 4
Seeds Per Pound: 400,000
Cultivar: Spring Beauty
Common Name: Spring Beauty Carnation, Feathered Pink
* Cupressus pigmaea ( Mendocino Cypress ) is a taxon of disputed status in the genus Cupressus endemic to certain coastal terraces and coastal mountain ranges of Mendocino and Sonoma Counties in northwestern California .
* The fruit is not at all insipid, it has a very strong spicy taste of germolene, just like being in a hospital waiting room. It is a member of the Ericaceae (heath family). * An evergreen groundcover, a source of wintergreen oil; 1/4" very light pink...
The large, flat flowers, borne on short stems from midwinter to early spring, are white, or occasionally pink. * This species produces flowering plants in 2 - 3 years from seed. Division after flowering or in autumn.
It is native throughout the cooler regions of the Northern Hemisphere in Europe , northern Asia , and northern North America . They should be harvested in the spring before the plant comes into flower.
It is grown for its fleshy hypocotyl (a fused hypocotyl and taproot), which is used as a root vegetable and a medicinal herb. Sweet and pleasantly flavoured. After being dried they are cooked in water to make a sweet aromatic porridge that is called 'mazamorra'...
* This species provides one of the most important and sought-after softwoods of Mexico. Those great stands have been largely depleted now, especially in southern Mexico and Mesoamerica (Perry 1991, Farjon and Styles 1997).
* It has a dark green color, slower growth and excellent disease resistance, especially to grey leaf spot. * It colors up quickly in the spring and has a degree of drought tolerance as well as good tolerance of air pollution.
Global interest in chia seed as a food* is based on its high content of protein, ?-3 fatty-acids, and complex carbohydrates, as well as the gelatinous, moisture-retaining qualities of the seed which make it useful in baking and in clothing the American...
Buxus colchica of western Caucasus and B. Hyrcana of northern Iran and eastern Caucasus are commonly treated as synonyms of B. This evergreen shrub, Buxus microphylla sinica is a good bonsai if trained correctly.
Synonyms are: Chamomilla chamomilla , Chamomilla recutita (correct name according to the Flora Europaea ), Matricaria chamomilla , and Matricaria suaveolens . Dried Chamomile flowers make a sedative and delicious tea that is calming to the stomach and...
The cones are cylindric-conic, 4-8 cm long and 2 cm broad, maturing pale brown 5-7 months after pollination, and have stiff, smoothly rounded scales. The shoots are orange-brown, glabrous or with scattered pubescence.
Great for slicing and fresh eating! * Also make very good fried onion rings and can be used in cooking where a mild onion flavor is desired. 110 days to harvest. * Generally grown as an annual to produce desired onions for eating.
* Marsh mallow is a very useful household medicinal herb. * A confection made from the root since ancient Egyptian time evolved into today's marshmallow treat. * The German Commission E Monographs, a therapeutic guide to herbal medicine, approve Althaea...