* Bergenia crassifolia is an evergreen Perennial growing to 0.3 m (1ft) by 0.8 m (2ft 7in). * It is in leaf 12-Jan It is in flower from Mar to April. * A very ornamental plant, it is hardy to about -20°c.
* In antiquity the most famous place for the black hellebore was the Phokian city of Antikyra in Greece. The large, flat flowers, borne on short stems from midwinter to early spring, are white, or occasionally pink.
Growing only 2-3' wide, this stately, columnar juniper makes the perfect addition to any landscape - even those with tight spaces. The dusty blue-green coloring remains all year without browning or fading away.
* Stipa capillata is a perennial grass species in the family Poaceae , native to Europe and Asia . * A perennial grass, to 3', with erect stems and leaves, very narrow; flowers and seedheads lax; native to Eurasia.
* The leaves have a very sweet liquorice-like flavour. * Other reports say that they contain 'estevin' a substance that, weight for weight, is 150 times sweeter than sugar. * The dried leaves can be ground and used as a sweetener or soaked in water and...
* Common Soapwort ( Saponaria officinalis ) is a vespertine flower , and a common perennial plant from the carnation family ( Caryophyllaceae ). * An herbaceous perennial, erect; with 3/4"white or pinkish fragrant flowers in terminal clusters and in the...
When prescribed internally it is always used dried and in conjunction with fresh ginger root. * Tian Nan Xing has been used in Chinese herbal medicine for thousands of years and is valued especially for its beneficial affect upon the chest.
Botanical Name: Arisaema amurense
Common Name: Amur Jack In The Pulpit, Tian Nan Xing
As an evergreen hedge, plant 2-4 feet apart, as individual specimens plant 6-8' apart. Looks best if trimmed to a compact 4-6 feet. However, you need a male plant for pollination. NOTE: Female plants produce berries.
This name arose because Captain Cook used the leaves to make a 'tea' drink. * Leptospermum scoparium ( Manuka or Tea tree or just Leptospermum ) is a shrub or small tree native to New Zealand and southeast Australia .
Those great stands have been largely depleted now, especially in southern Mexico and Mesoamerica (Perry 1991, Farjon and Styles 1997). * Mexican White Pine ( Pinus ayacahuite ), the common name in Spanish is ayacahuite ; family Pinaceae ) is a species...
* Platycodon grandiflorus is a species of perennial flowering plant of the family Campanulaceae and the only member of the genus Platycodon. Depending upon the region, it is also referred to as the Japanese bellflower , common balloon flower , or balloon...
* Foliage turns purplish-bronze in winter. * Bergenia (also called heart-leaved bergenia) is a clump-forming perennial which is primarily grown as a ground cover. Small dark pink flowers in dense panicles appear within or above the foliage on stout stalks...
* Paeonia anomala has an immense range of wild habitat, stretching from the Ural Mountains of Russia to the Pamir Mountains of Central Asia, then to the Mongolian Gobi Desert and the Tien Shan Mountains of Kazakhstan .
The flowers are small, white, borne in dense terminal compound umbels in late autumn or early winter, followed by small black fruit. Sieboldii Hort. Japonica have been shown to effectively remove gaseous formaldehyde from indoor air.
It is easily recognised by its attractive three-petaled white flowers, opening from late spring to early summer, that rise above a whorl of three, leaf-like bracts. * The plant is most common in rich, mixed upland forests.
* Cupressus pigmaea ( Mendocino Cypress ) is a taxon of disputed status in the genus Cupressus endemic to certain coastal terraces and coastal mountain ranges of Mendocino and Sonoma Counties in northwestern California .
* Serratula tinctoria , commonly known as Saw-wort , is a species in the genus Serratula . It grows in moist soil, full sun to part shade, and grows up to one meter tall. * A perennial with tubular reddish-purple flowers in small terminal clusters; native...
* Nigella damascena ( Love-in-a-mist ) is an annual garden flowering plant , belonging to the buttercup family ( Ranunculaceae ). Blooms in the spring to early summer, but is said not to bloom well in very hot climates.
* The flower heads are 8-12 inches in diameter and are very showy. * This bulb forming perennial produces short lived sword shaped leaves followed by flower spikes having huge umbels of fushia colored flowers at the top.
* As the name suggests, its shape resembles that of an acorn. * Although considered a "winter" squash, acorn squash belongs to the same species as all "summer" squashes (including zucchini and yellow crookneck squash).
Growth may occur year-round if conditions are adequate, but typically growth ceases when soil temperature falls below 40 °F (4 °C) * Silver Hawk Tall Fescue was developed as a lawn grass for the transition zone between Nothern and Southern areas of...
Apulcensis, and above 2000 m it is easy to find pure and mixed forests of Pinus ayacahuite var. While you're there, from 1500-2500 m the forest is mixed with Pinus tecunumanii and Pinus pseudostrobus var.
* Mirabilis jalapa (The four o'clock flower or marvel of Peru ) is the most commonly grown ornamental species of Mirabilis , and is available in a range of colours. Mirabilis jalapa is said to have been exported from the Peruvian Andes in 1540.
Minimum Hardiness Zone: annual
Common Name: Four OClocks, Marvel Of Peru, Four O'Clocks
The leaves are harvested just before the plant comes into flower. * Summer savory ( Satureja hortensis ) is the better known of the Savory species. A tangy, marjoram-like flavour. It is used more often than winter savory, as winter savory is thought to...
Among the Navajo, the plant is used to make blankets. * Agave utahensis is a rosette-shaped agave having blue-green sharp-spiked leaves. Varieties of the species include the Nevada agave and Kaibab agave.
An extract of them has antibacterial properties. It is obtained by macerating the seed in hot water. Lanceolata contains phenylethanoids such as acteoside (verbascoside), cistanoside F, lavandulifolioside, plantamajoside and isoacteoside.
Germination Test Type: Actual
Height: 12-15 inches
Common Name: Narrowleaf Plantain, Ribwort Plantain
* Picea breweriana ( Brewer Spruce or Weeping Spruce ) is a species of spruce native to western North America , where it is one of the rarest in the continent, endemic to the Klamath Mountains of southwest Oregon and northwest California .
Botanical Name: Picea breweriana
Common Name: Brewer Spruce, Brewer's Spruce, Weeping Spruce