* The red (cranberry-like) berries mature in late summer and persist into winter. * The leaves turn attractive shades of purple, red and bronze in autumn. * Low informal hedge. * Effective on banks or slopes for erosion control.
* The fall color is a "beautiful gold with overtones of crimson for which it is famous." * Makes an excellent larger bonsai specimen. * The leaf color is a combination of green and red on the same leaf.
* As with all seed collected from cultivars it is uncertain if the resulting seedlings will resemble the mother or not. It works well when planted with Osakazuki so that the leaves in the fall compliment each other.
Striped maple ACPE Summary Duration Perennial Growth Habit Tree, Shrub Native Status L48 (N), CAN (N) Federal T/E Status National Wetland Indicator FACU-, FACU Morphology/Physiology Active Growth Period Spring and Summer After Harvest Regrowth Rate Bloat...
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 3
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 30
Common Name: Striped Maple, Moose Maple, Moosewood
* Ilex montana ( Mountain Winterberry ; also "Mountain Holly" which is more typically Ilex mucronata ) is a species of holly native to the United States , ranging along the Appalachian Mountains from southeast Massachusetts to northeast Alabama and northern...
Mice, voles, shrews, and chipmunks consumed an estimated 65 percent of a Douglas fir seed crop following dispersal in western Oregon. * The specific epithet, menziesii, is after Archibald Menzies, a Scottish physician and rival naturalist to David Douglas.
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 39
Location: NM Santa Fe
Common Name: Douglas Fir
Botanical Name: Pseudotsuga menziesii glauca NM Santa Fe
* A shrub with evergreen 2" x 1" shiny leaves; fragrant white flowers in April; round red fruit to 1/4"; grows well in dry shade; easy to grow; native to central and Western China, where it grows in forests and on cliffs, especially on limestone.
* The Koyamaki ( Sciadopitys verticillata ), or Japanese Umbrella-pine , is a unique conifer endemic to Japan . * Infrared microspectroscopy has identified conifers of the family Sciadopityaceae as the principal source of Baltic amber rather than as previously...
Crop Year: 2015
Common Name: Umbrella Pine, Japanese Umbrella Pine, Koyamaki
* A very deep colored palmatum - almost classed as a "black-red" * In the Fall crimson tones dominate. * 'Shojo' is the name of the red-faced orangoutang. * Trueness to type can never be guaranteed when seed is grown that has been collected from cultivars.
It has a sturdy perennial vine that may have twining , woody stems that are 30 feet (9.1 m) or longer and an inch or more thick at the base. * Another vigorous scrambling vine grown for its yellow-orange fruit capsules and crimson seeds; likes full sun;...
Germination Test Type: cut
Botanical Name: Celastrus scandens
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 4
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 12
Common Name: American Bittersweet, Climbing Bittersweet
* The bark of the willow-leaved cotoneaster is gray-brown, its stems are thin, and its root system is sparse. During the colder months, they turn maroonish in color. The leaves are alternate, simple, long, lanceolate , dark green and resemble those of...
* An excellent hedge plant, tolerating hard clipping and maritime exposure and forming a dense stock-proof shelter. * Spiny, shiny, dark green leaves, fragrant white flowers in May; quarter-inch red fruit, very attractive; parent of many cultivars.
Common names include Mexican Palo Verde , Parkinsonia , Jerusalem Thorn , and Jellybean Tree . It is native to the southwestern United States (western Texas , southern Arizona ), Mexico , the Caribbean , South America south to northern Argentina , and...
* This is a naturally rare grass in the wild but it is widely cultivated for use as an attractive ornamental garden plant. * It is marginal in zone 8, going dormant and deciduous in cold winters, but usually evergreen to semi-evergreen.
* Leaves often turn a quality shade of red in fall. Established plants tolerate drought. * A compact species with shiny dark green leaves, small rose-colored flowers, and 1/3" to 1/2" dark red fruit; spreads by rooting of branch tips; native to western...
* Fuller's teasel (the cultivar group Dipsacus fullonum Sativus Group; syn. * Fuller's teasel is occasionally cultivated for its seed head, which is used for carding cloth. * A blue dye is obtained from the dried plant, an indigo substitute.
* A fibre is obtained by retting the bark. It is used for coarse cordage and cloth. The wood is used for making furniture and coffins. , ( Firmiana simplex , syn. A lotion of the leaves is used in the treatment of carbuncles, haemorrhoids and sores.
It is gentle, and very harmless in operation within the body, and exceedingly sharpens the Appetite, being drunk ante pastum.". * Betula populifolia ( Gray Birch ) is a deciduous tree native to North America .
It is an evergreen shrub or small tree that is usually trimmed to below two metres (six feet) when cultivated for its leaves. It has a strong taproot . Modern research has shown that there are many health benefits to drinking tea, including its ability...
* The seed is eaten raw or cooked. Prefers a sheltered semi-shaded position and a light deep moist soil. Very sweet and much appreciated, tasting somewhat like a hazel nut. * Requires a lime-free soil.
* Fall coloration develops into a distinct yellow-gold with rosy tones. It becomes blended with light orange and reds. * It is quite a unique Fall color. * The sturdy leaves of this cultivar are a bright green.
Seeds Per Pound: 9,988
Botanical Name: ACER palmatum matsumurae Ki hachijo dry seed
Common Name: Ki hachijo Japanese Maple, Kihachijo Japanese Maple
* Unlike most species of pine. Mugo pine is most attractive with its natural shape. * Mountain Pine or Mugo Pine ( Pinus mugo ) is a high-altitude European pine , found in the Pyrenees , Alps , Erzgebirge , Carpathians , northern Apennines and Balkan...
Crop Year: 2016
Common Name: Mugo Pine, Mugo Pine Tree, Mountain Pine
* The foliage is purplish-red holding into the summer then some green tones come in changing to red and scarlet in fall. * A very desirable color * Makes a delightful upright small tree, maturing at 4 meters.