Also tolerates some drought. Tolerates wide range of soils, including dry rocky or sandy soils. Also useful for stabilizing embankments. Can be grown as a hedge. * Garden Uses Mass or group in the shrub border or native plant garden.
It is native to southern Europe ( Sicily ), southwestern Asia ( Lebanon , Syria , Turkey ) and eastern Asia ( China ), with two well-separated populations. Fortunei, but is shorter, broader, and more densely branched; small whitish flowers; native to...
Good for shrub borders, open woodland areas and naturalized areas. The flowers are white, borne in spring. * This tough, thicket-forming, Missouri native deciduous shrub grows 5-8 feet tall with gracefully arching branches.
The plant contains flavonoids (notably rutin) that reduce capillary fragility, which might explain the plants reputation as an eye strengthener. It is native to southern Europe . It also is grown as both a medicinal herb and as a condiment.
The woody fruit is up to 30mm in diameter. A pleasant sub-acid taste, somewhat resembling dried apples. * Small greenish-yellow flowers from April to July, in profusion; conspicuous brown-yellow winged fruit from August to October; 1 1/2" leaves; spiny...
The foliage grows in dense sprays, varying from dull gray-green to bright glaucous blue-green in color. It grows to heights of 10-25 m, and its trunk diameter reaches 0.5 m. * Trees are very drought tolerant and are planted on slopes in its native range...
* The whole plant, known as ning tiao, is used in the treatment of cancer of the breast, and the orifice to the womb, and for dysmenorrhoea and other gynaecological problems. It is a shrub growing to heights of 12 feet or more and is a perennial .
It is native to northwestern Mexico and the southwestern United States from far eastern California to southwest Colorado , Rio Grande New Mexico , to west Texas , where it grows in woodland, chaparral , forest, and other habitat.
This plant is often used as an ornamental plant in gardens. * Annual or biennial; parent is dwarfish, dark blue flowers throughout summer; does well in hot, dry sun. * Cynoglossum amabile is a flowering plant native to Asia , which is also called Chinese...
The pistillate and staminate flowers are on different trees; both are inconspicuous; but the fruit is very much in evidence. * Before the invention of barbed wire in the 1880's, the Osage Orange was planted in hedges to contain farm animals.
* Myrtle in a wedding bouquet is a general European custom. Prick out the seedlings into individual pots as soon as they are large enough to handle and grow them on in the greenhouse for at least their first winter.
* Fraxinus quadrangulata ( Blue Ash ) is a species of Fraxinus native primarily to the Midwestern United States , as well as the Bluegrass region of Kentucky and the Nashville Basin region of Tennessee.
It generally occurs at low altitudes, mostly from sea level to 600 metres (2,000 ft), up to 1,200 metres (3,900 ft) in the south of its range. * Pinus brutia, the Turkish pine, is a pine native to the eastern Mediterranean region.
The same species is considered to occur native to California (a Mediterranean-American disjunct distribution. The California varieties Styrax officinalis subsp. A small very light green, stalked axillary bud is associated with each leaf.
They are leathery, hairless, and darker and shinier on the upper surfaces. It can also be trimmed into a hedge . Inside are black seeds in a bed of resinous pulp. The flower has five white petals each about a centimeter long.
* A decoction of the roots has been used in the treatment of chest pains and stomach aches. * A decoction of the leaves has been used in the treatment of chills and fevers. * Penstemon grandiflorus is a perennial plant of the genus Penstemon.
* Shrubs to 1.5 m tall. Very worthy of greater use, especially in areas where flowering shrub choices are limited by lack of drought tolerance and/or cold hardiness. * The Asian and European populations are widely disjunct, separated by over 5000 km.
* The tree reaches 40-50 m in height, developing an irregular oblate crown with large branches. Larger trees will check badly and hardly put on any growth for several years. * It is a coniferous evergreen tree native to Taiwan and southeast China, in...
They are very drought -tolerant and fast-growing and favor climates that are rainy throughout the year or at least with high summer rainfall. It is a large evergreen or semi-evergreen tree growing to 40 m (130 ft) tall and with a trunk of 1–3 m (3.3–9.8...
Germination Test Type: cut
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 56
Common Name: Montezuma Baldcypress, Montezuma Bald Cypress
The mature seed is a hard oval, dark brown in color and contains an oil (liquid wax) content of approximately 54%. Only Bailey's Pocket Mouse , however, is known to be able to digest the wax found inside the jojoba nut.
Collection Locale: Arizonia
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 14
Common Name: Jojoba, Pignut, Goat Nut, Deer Nut, Wild Hazel, Quinine Nut, Coffeeberry, Grey Box Bush
The wax can be used to make aromatic candles. It is native to the southwestern United States , in Utah , Nevada , Arizona , western New Mexico , western Colorado , Wyoming , southern Montana , southern Idaho and eastern California .