Best massed as a ground cover or as an edging for paths and other walkways. Easy to grow in average garden soil in full sun to part shade. Deep purple flowers adorn the deep green, grass like foliage in late summer.
✓ Pretty flower spikes resemble grape hyacinths
✓ Tolerates heat, humidity and drought
✓ Clumps slowly expand wider, not aggressively
Wildlife Attracted: No Wildlife Attracted
Hardiness Zone: 6 (-10 to 0 F),7 (0 to 10 F),8 (10 to 20 F),9 (20 to 30 F)
* Lychnis chalcedonica ( Burning Love , Dusky Salmon , Flower of Bristol , Jerusalem Cross , Maltese Cross , Nonesuch ; syn. Silene chalcedonica ) is a flowering plant in the family Caryophyllaceae , native from central and eastern European Russia east...
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 228
Seeds Per Pound: 1,162,240
Common Name: Jerusalem Cross, Burning Love, Dusky Salmon, Flower of Bristol, Maltese Cross, Nonesuch
According to Bowley (l.c. 176) it is disturbing that it is only known to be growing wild in the valley of Kashmir, for, with so limited a location there must be some anxiety that it might disappear in the course of agriculture and other developments.
This species is known as platycodon or Chinese bellflower . It is native to East Asia (such as China , Korea , Japan , and East Siberia ) and bears big blue flowers, although varieties with white and pink flowers are in cultivation.
* Spotting on the flowers gives rise to the additional common name of leopard lily. * Easily grown in average, medium, well-drained soils in full sun. Belamcanda chinensis , Belamcanda punctata Moench , Gemmingia chinensis ( L.
* The flower heads are 8-12 inches in diameter and are very showy. * The flower heads dry well and the plant will self seed if the flowers heads are left in the garden. * This bulb forming perennial produces short lived sword shaped leaves followed by...
* A good butterfly and moth plant. It has a fringe of 20 to 30 white ray florets around a center of many densely packed yellow disc florets. * Easily grown in a good garden soil. * It is native to France and Spain but it can be found growing wild in other...
Succeeds in dry soils and in poor soils. * An attractive garden flower, blooms in May or June, 1 1/2" flowers, several per stem. * Prefers a neutral to slightly alkaline soil in a sunny well-drained position.
The stem is hard, smooth and straight, the leaves linear to lanceolate, 4 to 5 cm long and 3 to 4 mm wide. The bulb is roundish with a diameter of about 2 cm. The seeds mature from August to September.
* Forms mats of small green leaves and stemless sky-blue flowers, as large as 3"; wants good soil, cool, moist conditions; native to Swiss Alps. They are therefore more difficult to grow in areas with hot summers and in such a region they appreciate some...
Inflorescence goes to four feet in length which is covered with many deep to pale pink flowers, four cm across. It often goes by the common name Foxtail lily. It prefers sandy, well-drained soil and full sun.
* It is a herbaceous perennial plant growing twenty-three to twenty-seven inches (60–70 cm) tall, with biternate, glaucous leaves with obovate lobes. The plant is sometimes nicknamed "Molly the Witch", a humorous mispronunciation of the species name,...
Collection Locale: Russia
Germination Test Type: cut
Common Name: Golden Peony, Caucasian Peony, Molly The Witch Peony
It is an aromatic tonic herb that stimulates the uterus, reduces inflammation, controls bacterial infections and promotes healing. It should not be used by pregnant women. * Birthwort has a very long history of medicinal use, though it has been little...
It spreads rapidly by root suckers and stolons . * This spring-blooming anemone features cup-shaped, 1.5-2" diameter, fragrant, 5-sepaled, often nodding, white flowers with yellow anthers in the center.
Early blooming mixture in an array of colors from white, red, gold, orange, yellow, and pink. Good as cut flowers in bouquets, easy to grow, and are deer resistant. Buttercups are also known by their botanical name Ranunculus.
Pot of their choice. To assure your gift recipient is delighted we ship six 15/16 cm bulbs which will easily fill up a 6 in. Their timeless beauty, sweet perfume and absolute dependability have made Paperwhites Narcissus the absolute all-time favorite...
Mature Width (in.): 4 in
Wildlife Deterred: Deer
Hardiness Zone: 10 (30 to 40 F),8 (10 to 20 F),9 (20 to 30 F)
And it makes a beautiful, mess-free addition to a cut flower bouquet. It's ideal for an indoor arrangement. It also has exceptional flower power, producing 4 to 5 flowers on each stem in the first year and perennializing nicely for even more in following...
Anemone St. Brigid are beautifully grouped along borders. Perfect flower for a cutting garden for a stunning addition to a flowering bouquets. Anemone St. Brigid mix is a colorful double-petaled flower with continual bloom through the summer.
✓ Growing instructions: select an area in the garden that receives full sun to partial shade where the soil drains well, loosen the soil to a depth of 6-10 in. and amend with compost if necessary, place bulbs into the soil 1-2 in. below the soil level, plants should be spaced 4-6 in. apart, tamp down the soil and water well. water thoroughly during periods of drought
✓ Anemones are colorful semi double flowers providing color from late spring to early summer
Calla lilies are treasured for the elegance they add to fresh bouquets and flower arrangements. These lilies prefer full sun to partial shade and loose, well-drained soil. Flame Calla Lily produces fiery orange, chalice-shaped, 2 in.
✓ Due to state regulations, this plant cannot be shipped to AE, AK, GU, HI, PR
✓ Reaches standard mature height of 16 in. to 22 in.
Spotted baby-pink flowers, with an unusual salmon color cast to the petal centers. Salmon Star lilies are elegant beauties, producing exquisite 6 in. In Chinese, the word Lily means forever in love.
Lilies prefer cool soil, which argues for shade at their feet from low growing companions, when cutting the flowers for bouquets, remove no more than 1/3 of the stem so sufficient leaves remain to renew the bulb for the coming year: Yes
* A sprawling plant unless staked, perhaps best for romping through a semi-wild border; small blue flowers in considerable numbers in midsummer; full sun or part shade, persistent once established; native to China.
Collection Locale: Pennsylvania
Common Name: Tube Clematis, Hyacinth-flower Clematis, Bush Clematis
Beautiful on their own or planted as a back drop for your favorite blooms, they provide a bold tropical effect in any garden. Excellent for containers, landscapes, beds and ponds. Its bright red stems, veins and margins are noteworthy.
✓ Grows bright red stems
✓ Once established they require little to no attention
These extra tall plants grow to almost 3' tall. The flowers float above blue-green sword shaped foliage that fills the garden from spring to fall. Autumn Circus is a profuse bloomer in the spring with a high bud count.
In fall, plant the bulbs pointy end up, in deep, fertile, well draining soil in full sun to light shade. Ask anyone - anywhere - to draw a daffodil, and this is the variety most people will have in mind.