* Hippocrepis emerus reaches on average 50–150 centimetres (20–59 in) of height, with a maximum of 200 centimetres (79 in). * These shrubs are usually found in wooded and bushy areas, on sunny, warm and dry slopes and around forest edges.
* Its natural habitats are dry forests and low shrublands. It is threatened by habitat destruction, mainly due to introduced grazing mammals. * Canavalia pubescens, commonly known as ʻawikiwiki or Lavafield Jack-bean, is a species of flowering plant...
Useful in coastal landscapes, it adds texture and unique architecture to large scale plantings. * This seed is collected from trees at higher elevation and inland so it is one of the most cold hardy sources available on the market.
* In areas with a marked dry season, it sheds its leaves during the drought, but in other areas it is virtually evergreen. * The tree's vivid red/vermilion/orange/yellow flowers and bright green foliage make it an exceptionally striking sight.
* Flowers to 5 inches, purple, borne in profusion. * A species of flowering plant in the family Fabaceae ,native to South China (which includes Hong Kong ) and southeastern Asia * Common names include Hong Kong Orchid Tree, and Hawaiian orchid tree.
* Many of the tree's branches bend under the weight of the large foliage. * It is a medium-sized understory tree 15-20 m tall, distinguished from other magnolias by the large leaf size, 25-80 cm long and 11-30 cm broad.
The seed cones are globose to oblong, 15-33 mm long, with 6 or 8 (rarely 4 or 10) scales, green at first, maturing gray or gray-brown about 20–24 months after pollination. * It is a medium-sized evergreen tree with a conic to ovoid-conic crown.
* A source of pulp, timber, and turpentine. Dark green needles, to 18" (9" in older trees), in tufts at ends of branchlets; hangs on to its cones (to 20") for as long as 20 years; native from Virginia to Florida and Mississippi.
Common Name: Longleaf Pine, Longleaf Yellow Pine, Southern Yellow Pine
* The specific epithet pungens means "sharply pointed", referring to the leaves. * It is also grown for the cut Christmas tree industry. * It is a popular ornamental tree found far beyond its native range.
* Can tolerate dry and warm sites, can grow on various types of soil. * The cones are cylindrical, 9-18 cm long, greenish-pink to purple before maturity. * Growing up to 25-30m high and up to 1m in diameter.
Easily grown from seed in the early spring, the seeds are soaked in water to start germination. Pinus thunbergii prefers cooler climates and loves full sun. * Thick, slightly twisted bright green 3-4 1/2" needles.
* Pinus devoniana is closely related to Pinus montezumae (the Montezuma Pine). * These trees project a sense of vigorous strength, for though not generally very large, they are robust, with thick branches and twigs, and large foliar units of very long,...
* This is a fast growing evergreen flowering tree. * The extensiveroot system of this plant helps to prevent soil erosion. * Acacia dealbata is widely cultivated as an ornamental plant in warm temperate regions of the world, and is naturalised in some...
* It usually occurs as a native shrub or a medium sized tree. The amount of acorns produced can also vary year to year, one year there may be about 32,000 acorns and the next year there may be very few.
* Common names in other Namibian language groups Oshiwambo Otjiherero Kavango languages Omuwombamenje Caprivi languages Setswana Afrikaans Lemoendoring Deutsch Khoekhoegowab Bushman languages Gruenhaarbaum ?Khas
* A decoction of the leaves has been used in the treatment of chills and fevers. * A decoction of the roots has been used in the treatment of chest pains and stomach aches. * A very ornamental plant! * Succeeds in ordinary rich garden soils so long as...
Common Name: Shell Leaf Penstemon, Large Beard-tongue, Large Beardtongue, Large Beard Tongue
Useful for making tool handles, mallets and other small items. It has been shown to lower blood cholesterol levels and to improve blood circulation. The orange fruit has a mealy texture with an acid taste and a slight bitterness but is fairly nice raw.
* This species has a symbiotic relationship with certain soil bacteria, these bacteria form nodules on the roots and fix atmospheric nitrogen. * This tree is remarkable for the number and length of the spines growing on its trunk, which makes it the most...
* Thin strips of the fibrous bark are used for making sleeping mats etc. The bark is employed as a tinder and is also made into a slow match or can be shredded, bound into bundles and used as a torch to give light in the house.
Common Name: Cherrystone Juniper, Oneseed Juniper, Single-seed Juniper
They have a smell that some people find distasteful. It is a deciduous tree growing to 15 to 20 m (49 to 66 ft) tall, with a conic to rounded crown. The flowers are produced in early spring before the leaves expand fully, and are white, with five petals,...
* A deliciously scented essential oil, it has a fragrance of violets. * While the point of origin is Mexico and Central America the species has a pantropical distribution incorporating Northern Australia and Southern Asia.
* Ridjica and Sombor in Serbia (where it is called kustelic or galagunja) and Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia, is known for the extensive use of hackberry as a street tree. * Celtis occidentalis, commonly known as the Common hackberry, is a large...
Leaves on plants at higher elevation may turn gold or red as the weather cools. * Cercis occidentalis, the western redbud (syn. * The showy flowers are bright pink or magenta, and grow in clusters all over the shrub, making the plant very colorful and...
They measure 10 to 15 centimetres (4 to 6 in) in diameter and their shape is superficially similar to hibiscus flowers. From the seeds it is possible to obtain vegetable oil (both edible and industrially useful).