Flesh is juicy, acid, whitish and aromatic. * Annona muricata is a species of the genus Annona of the custard apple tree family, Annonaceae, known mostly for its edible fruit. * Annona muricata is a small, upright, evergreen that can grow to about 4 metres...
* Significant progress has been reported on polyphenols, particularly ellagic acid, tannins and anthocyanins, antioxidant activity, anti-cancer and anti-viral properties. * A most unusual bayberry, a small tree with narrow 5" leaves and 1" deep reddish-purple...
The tree typically grows to 12-15 m, but can reach 35 m in height. The needles of the Gray Pine are in fascicles (bundles) of three, distinctively pale gray-green, sparse and drooping, and grow to 20-30 cm in length.
Crop Year: 2016
Common Name: Digger Pine, California Foothill Pine, Gray Pine, Foothills Pine, Sabine Pine, Bull Pine, Grayleaf Pine
* Typical flora associates are such plants as the western sword fern (Polystichum munitum), coastal woodfern (Dryopteris arguta), California snowberry (Symphoricarpos mollis), common snowberry (Symphoricarpos albus), and thimbleberry (Rubus parviflorus).
Collection Locale: Oregon coast
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 7
Common Name: California Huckleberry, Evergreen Huckleberry
* It is a popular garden tree in subtropical areas, planted for its unusual effect of the thick, 'reptilian' branches with a very symmetrical appearance. * The cones disintegrate at maturity to release the approximately 5 cm (2 in) long nut-like seeds,...
Durable in the dry but may be susceptible to fungi. The scientific name honours the botanist and explorer Allan Cunningham, who collected the first specimens in the 1820s. The bark is rough, splits naturally, and peels easily.
* The seed can be eaten raw or cooked. Wallichiana; native to China, Burma, Taiwan, Korea. Up to 13mm x 11mm. * The Chinese White Pine ( Pinus armandii ; family Pinaceae ) is a species of pine native to China , occurring from southern Shanxi west to southern...
It is cultivated commercially in frost-free areas for its fruit and is widely grown in India , Sri Lanka , New Zealand , the Caribbean , Brazil, Colombia , Ecuador , Indonesia , Peru , California , Florida , Haiti , Hawaii , Australia , East Africa ,...
* The cones are stout and heavy, typically 8–15 cm (3.1–5.9 in) long and broad, and contain large, hard-shelled, but edible, pine nuts. It is an endangered species growing only in the Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve, coastal northern San Diego...
* This kiwi is a relatively fast-growing, deciduous, woody vine which typically grows 15-20' and features tiny, slightly fragrant, greenish-white flowers in early summer and attractive, heart-shaped (to 5" long), green foliage variegated with white and/or...
* They are commonly served raw and peeled. * The fruit tends to be quite large and fragrant, and when carefully wrapped (it has a tendency to bruise because of its juiciness), it can last for several weeks or more in a cold, dry place.
* California Wonder peppers are an open pollinated heirloom variety of sweet bell pepper. * They are like the peppers that you buy in the store. * This is a timeless classic. * Blocky shape, excellent for stuffing with a sweet mild flavor.
* Shiny leathery leaves, coarse, evergreen, dark green or blue green. * Fruit - raw or cooked. * Very fragrant yellow flowers in early spring. A pleasant acid flavour, it is nice when added to muesli or porridge.
Seeds Per Pound: 12,712
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 8
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 14
Common Name: Leatherleaf Mahonia, Oregon Grape, Beale's Barberry
While the crown is perennial, the canes are biennial, growing vegetatively one year, flowering and fruiting the second, and then dying. * The fruit develops a very nice flavour in British gardens and the plant can also yield well here, especially on the...
Crop Year: 2018
Common Name: Whitebark Raspberry, Blackcap Raspberry
* The leaves are large, 50–70 cm (20–28 in) in diameter, deeply palmatelylobed, with seven lobes. * The ripe fruit of the papaya is usually eaten raw, without skin or seeds. All parts of the plant contain latex in articulated laticifers.
These eight genomes pair as four distinct sets, of two different types, with little or no pairing between sets. * All strawberries have a base haploid count of 7 chromosomes. Small but delicious, up to 20mm in diameter.
* The Manchurian walnut ( Juglans mandshurica Maxim. ) is a deciduous tree of the genus Juglans (section Cardiocaryon ), native to the Eastern Asiatic Region ( China , Russian Far East , North Korea and South Korea ).
* Sometimes grown as a pot plant in colder areas. * Starchy and delicious, it has the texture of a waxy boiled potato with the flavour of chestnuts. * It is native to south-east Queensland with two small disjunct populations in northern Queensland's World...
Botanical Name: Araucaria bidwillii
Common Name: Bunya - Bunya Pine, Bunya Bunya, Bunya Pine, Bunya Bunya Tree, False Monkey Puzzle Tree
* Although its botanical name Prunus persica refers to Persia (present Iran) from where it came to Europe, genetic studies suggest peaches originated in China. * China is the world's largest producer of peaches and nectarines.
The fruit is a drupe 4-7 cm in diameter with yellow-pink flesh; it can be harvested in the summer. Prunus triflora or Prunus thibetica ; also called Chinese plum or Japanese plum ) is a small deciduous tree native to China , and now also grown in Korea...