This tree has been exploited for its edible pine nuts since prehistoric times. The seeds are often added to ice cream, cakes, puddings etc. It makes a delicious snack and can also be used as a staple food.
In the north of its range, it grows at moderate altitudes, typically 600-900 m, whereas further south, it is a mountain tree, growing at 2,000-2,600 m altitude in Japan. Korean pine cones are 8 centimetres (3.1 in) to 17 centimetres (6.7 in) long, green...
It grows to 1.5 m (5 ft) and is a popular ornamental plant in cold temperate regions, valued for its profuse spring blossom and exceptional winter hardiness. * Prunus tenella Batsch, Dwarf Russian Almond , is a species of deciduous shrubs in the genus...
Used like pistachio nuts. The seed is an important local food source, and is considered to be a great delicacy. Rich in oil, they have a pleasant flavour with a hint of resin and can be used as a staple food.
Height: 30-70 feet
Common Name: Chilghoza Pine, Chilgoza Nut Pine, Geralds's Nut Pine, Nepal Nut Pine
Coffea arabica is believed to be the first species of coffee to be cultivated, being grown in southwest Arabia for well over 1,000 years. * Coffea arabica is a species of Coffea originally indigenous to the mountains of Yemen in the Arabian Peninsula...
Height: 30 feet
Collection Locale: Mexico
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 10
Seeds Per Pound: 1,816
Common Name: Coffee, Arabian Coffee, Mountain Coffee, Arabica Coffee, Coffee Shrub Of Arabia
* The dried fruit, known as prunes, is a safe and effective laxative. * An edible gum is obtained from points of damage on the trunk. * Plums are grown commercially in orchards, but modern rootstocks, together with self-fertile strains, training and pruning...
* Used as a rootstock for the cultivated cherries * Flowers bloom in mid spring and are pollinated mainly by bees and insects. * Suitable for: light (sandy), medium (loamy) and heavy (clay) soils, prefers well-drained soil and can grow in nutritionally...
It is a member of the Ericaceae (heath family). * An evergreen groundcover, a source of wintergreen oil; 1/4" very light pink or pinkish white flowers in summer, scarlet fruit; wants acid, woodland-type soil; native to eastern and central North America...
* Sometimes grown as a pot plant in colder areas. * Produces fruit that look like pineapples when mature. * It is native to south-east Queensland with two small disjunct populations in northern Queensland's World Heritage listed Wet Tropics.
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 10
Common Name: Bunya - Bunya Pine, Bunya Bunya, Bunya Pine, Bunya Bunya Tree, False Monkey Puzzle Tree
* 2 1/2" deep purple flowers on a plant that resembles a small hollyhock; likes full sun; biennial or perennial; native to Europe, north Africa, and northwest China. * The flowers can be added to salads or used as a garnish.
* Roman soldiers were given chestnut porridge before entering battle. The seed is rich in carbohydrates, it can be dried, then ground and used as a flour in breads, puddings, as a thickener in soups etc.
The fruit is sweet and fragrant with a pear-like flavour. * The Japanese Raisin Tree ( Hovenia dulcis ) is a hardy tree that occurs from Japan , over Eastern China and Korea to the Himalayas (up to altitudes of 2,000 m), growing preferably in a sunny...
Height: 30 feet
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 20
Common Name: Japanese Raisin Tree, Oriental Raisin Tree
* Vaccinium arboreum ( Sparkleberry or Farkleberry ) is a species of Vaccinium native to the southeastern United States , from southern Virginia west to southeastern Missouri , and south to Florida and eastern Texas .
* Fruit - raw or cooked. A pleasant acid flavour, it is nice when added to muesli or porridge. * Very fragrant yellow flowers in early spring. * Shiny leathery leaves, coarse, evergreen, dark green or blue green.
* In developing countries, moringa has potential to improve nutrition, boost food security, foster rural development, and support sustainable landcare. * It may be used as forage for livestock, a micronutrient liquid, a natural anthelmintic and possible...
* Actinidia kolomikta is an ornamental plant for gardens and a houseplant. * This kiwi is a relatively fast-growing, deciduous, woody vine which typically grows 15-20' and features tiny, slightly fragrant, greenish-white flowers in early summer and attractive,...
* Cornelian cherry juices are rich in potassium, calcium, sodium, iron, zinc, manganese, and copper. * Cornus officinalis is a species of dogwood known also as Japanese cornel or Japanese cornelian cherry or Cornelian cherries.
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 39
Common Name: Japanese Cornel Dogwood, Asiatic Dogwood
* The variety Brilliantissima tends to be more compact than the species. It is a very worthy landscape shrub! * Common name is in reference to the tart and bitter berries which are technically edible but so astringent as to cause choking in those who...
* Thrives in a light well-drained sandy or gravelly loam in a sunny position. Established plants tolerate drought. In more favourable conditions, trees may grow to 20 m in height, although some can reach up to 27 m.
In South-East Asia and elsewhere, it is called the Money Plant, because its seed pods have the appearance of silver coins. In the United States it may also be known as "Silver Dollars," also because of the seed pods.
* The plant from which cultivated red raspberries were derived. * Polyphenolic compounds from raspberry seeds are efficient antioxidants. * Raspberry fruit may protect the liver. * The fruit is delicious when eaten out of hand, the fruit is also used...
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 4
Quantity: 1.58 lb
Height: 5-6 feet
Collection Locale: Locke, NY
Common Name: Red Raspberry, European Raspberry, Framboise
Height: 5 - 10 m Crown: round to broad oval Bark and branches: bark dark greyish brown, twigs have woolly hair Leaf: broad elliptical to elongated oval, velvety grey, later green, 5 - 10 cm Flower: in umbels, white, O approx.