Also useful for stabilizing embankments. Also tolerates some drought. * Easily grown in average, medium, well-drained soil in full sun to part shade. Tolerates wide range of soils, including dry rocky or sandy soils.
A lupane acid extracted from the thorns showed in vitro anti-HIV activity. The thorns of Gleditsia sinensis LAM. Sinensis has in vitro effects that may be indicative of antiallergic activities, possibly due to the saponins in fruits.
* Canavalia pubescens, commonly known as ʻawikiwiki or Lavafield Jack-bean, is a species of flowering plant in the legume family, Fabaceae, that is endemic to Hawaii. It is threatened by habitat destruction, mainly due to introduced grazing mammals.
* Big bluestem is tolerant of a wide range of soils and moisture. Depending on soil and moisture conditions, it grows to a height of 1 – 3m (3 – 10 ft) . * Seed germination appears to be dependent on about a 2-week period of moistened seed at a time...
* An evergreen tree with compound leaves to 14", leaflets to 6"; flowers in small pendulous clusters to 8"; native to coastal areas, South Carolina to Florida. * The wood is heavy, strong, close-grained, splits easily.
* Common names in other Namibian language groups Oshiwambo Otjiherero Kavango languages Omuwombamenje Caprivi languages Setswana Afrikaans Lemoendoring Deutsch Khoekhoegowab Bushman languages Gruenhaarbaum ?Khas
Established plants are drought tolerant, succeeding in hot dry positions. * Juniperus rigida (Temple Juniper) is a species of juniper, native to northern China, Korea, Japan, and the far southeast of Russia (Primorsky Krai), occurring at altitudes of...
* Habitat and Range: sandy, gravelly, or rocky slopes, often growing in areas underlain by limestone bedrock. The roundleaf dogwood is also a temperate, northeastern North American species that occurs throughout southern and eastern Ontario; in northern...
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 5
Common Name: Roundleaved Dogwood, Roundleaf Dogwood
It also is grown as both a medicinal herb and as a condiment. * The Common Rue ( Ruta graveolens ), also known as Herb-of-grace , is a species of rue grown as a herb . The plant contains flavonoids (notably rutin) that reduce capillary fragility, which...
* Trees are very drought tolerant and are planted on slopes in its native range in order to prevent soil erosion. The foliage grows in dense sprays, varying from dull gray-green to bright glaucous blue-green in color.
* It is widely planted for timber, both in its native area (it is the most important tree in forestry in Turkey) and elsewhere in the Mediterranean region east to Pakistan. * Pinus brutia, the Turkish pine, is a pine native to the eastern Mediterranean...
Quantity: 1.26 lb
Crop Year: 2015
Common Name: Calabrian Pine, Turkish Pine, Brutia Pine, East Mediterranean Pine
The tree was 18 m in height with a d.b.h. of 5 m in 2013. * Celtis australis is supposed to have been the Lotus of the ancients, whose fruit Herodotus, Dioscorides, and Theophrastus describe as sweet, pleasant, and wholesome.
* Fontanesia is a genus of flowering plants in the family Oleaceae , usually treated as comprising a single species Fontanesia philliraeoides , though some authors split this into two species (see below).
* This is an excellent plant to use for cut flowers and dried flowers. * It is very cold hardy, coming from Siberia, and will also tolerate drought and saline conditions. They keep their blue color well after drying.
* This species of pearlbush is an early-blooming, upright deciduous shrub that is native to Manchuria and Korea. 'Northern Pearls' is a compact cultivar that grows to 6-8' tall and features racemes (3-5" long) of 5-petaled white flowers (to 2" diameter)...
Common Name: Pearl Bush, Sawtooth Pearlbush , Pearl Tree
It is one of two honeysuckles native to Britain, the other being the Common Honeysuckle ( Lonicera periclymenum ). * Lonicera xylosteum , commonly known as Fly honeysuckle , European Fly Honeysuckle , Dwarf Honeysuckle or Fly Woodbine is a deciduous shrub.
* It is found on the Black Hills and on foothills and mid-height peaks of the northern, central and southern Rocky Mountains. Mostly at 1000-3000 m (Kral 1993). * Distribution and Ecology USA: Montana (E from 112° W), North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming,...
Quantity: 2.99 lb
Common Name: Western Yellow Pine, Ponderosa Pine, Rocky Mountain Ponderosa Pine
* A deciduous Tree growing to 15 m, at a fast rate. * In North America it is known as Hedge Maple and in Australia it is sometimes called Common Maple. * A maple native to much of Europe , north to southern England (where it is the only native maple),...
Height: 45 - 75 feet
Common Name: Hedge Maple, Common Maple, Field Maple
The foliage grows in dense, usually moderately decumbent and pendulous sprays of bright green, very slender, slightly flattened shoots. * Cupressus funebris (Chinese Weeping Cypress) is a species of cypress native to southwestern and central China.
* It is largely confined to very infertile , excessively well-drained, sandy habitats where competition from larger-growing species is minimized by the harsh growing conditions, as in the Florida scrub .
* Cynoglossum amabile is a flowering plant native to Asia , which is also called Chinese hound's tongue , or Chinese forget-me-not . * Annual or biennial; parent is dwarfish, dark blue flowers throughout summer; does well in hot, dry sun.