The seed is rich in carbohydrates, it can be dried, then ground and used as a flour in breads, puddings, as a thickener in soups etc. A somewhat astringent taste raw, it improves considerably when cooked and is delicious baked with a floury texture and...
* The fruits are the sweetest when soft and orange. * Loquats are unusual among fruit trees in that the flowers appear in the autumn or early winter, and the fruits are ripe in late winter or early spring.
* In 2007, Guinness World Records certified that the Ghost Pepper (Bhut Jolokia) was the world's hottest chili pepper, 400 times hotter than Tabasco sauce! * Bhut Jolokia pods are unique among peppers, with their characteristic shape, and very thin skin.
* The origin of Actinidia chinensis is supposed to be the northern Yangtse river valley. It was first grown commercially in New Zealand, where it has been superseded by Actinidia deliciosa, or Kiwifruit.
* Methyl palmitate, which has been extracted from green husks of J. Regia has insecticidal properties: at a concentration of 10 mg/ml, it killed 98% of Tetranychus cinnabarinus (carmine spider mites) in one study.
* American hazelnut prefers full sun for best growth and development. * The nuts are also grown for use in expensive cakes, cookies, and candies * The male catkins are a food staple of ruffed grouse throughout the winter.
Germination Test Type: cut
Height: 8-12 feet
Common Name: Hazelnut, American Hazelnut, American Filbert
This is a delicious seed and it makes very pleasant eating. * It is the national tree of Chile. * The seed can be eaten raw or cooked. Rich in starch. Araucaria araucana is the hardiest species in the conifer genus Araucaria.
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 8
Height: 50-100 feet
Common Name: Monkey Puzzle Tree, Monkeypuzzle Tree
Sotolon is the chemical responsible for fenugreek's distinctive sweet smell. * Fenugreek is used as an herb (dried or fresh leaves), spice (seeds), and vegetable (fresh leaves, sprouts, and microgreens).
* The legume is a used as a vegetable in interiors of central and south central India, though not commercially farmed. In Telugu it is called 'chamma kaya' also called 'Tammi kaya' * The fruits are eaten as a vegetable in Africa and Asia.
The seeds are extensively harvested and sold as pine nuts, particularly in northeastern China; it is the most widely traded pine nut in international commerce. Korean pine nuts Korean pine differs from the closely related Siberian pine in having larger...
The flowers, which appear in early summer, can have a pleasantly strong fragrance. The 2-3 inch pink (5-8cm) flowers usually occur singly, but may appear in groups of 2 or 3. Nootka rose serves as the larval host of the Mourning Cloak and Grey Hairstreak...
Deliciosa, the kiwi fruit, the skin is smooth and can be eaten with the fruit. * The fruit contains up to 5 times the vitamin C content of blackcurrants. * A very hardy plant, tolerating temperatures down to -30°c or more, but the young spring growth...
Botanical Name: Actinidia arguta
Height: 40-50 feet
Common Name: Hardy Kiwi, Bower Actinidia, Tara Vine, Kiwi Berry
It is used extensively in the cuisine of Cuba, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. * This pepper is on the lower end of the HEAT scale measured in scoville units. When unripe, it is light yellowish-green in color, but will turn bright red if allowed...
The seed can take 4 weeks or more to germinate. Its seeds were later taken along the Silk Road towards the far East and to Europe where it was widely cultivated until the 18th century, when it began to be replaced by the garden strawberry, (Fragaria ×...
* Chokecherry is also used to craft wine in the western United States mainly in the Dakotas and Utah as well as in Manitoba, Canada. * The bark of chokecherry root was once made into an asperous-textured concoction used to ward off or treat colds, fever...