Its massive trunk comes from the contribution of clusters of aerial roots that emerge from the bases of lowest branches and grow down to the soil. It has gained the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit.
The fruit is a long narrow capsule 5–23 cm (2.0–9.1 in) long, which splits open at maturity to release numerous downy seeds .In the past, scented plants were sometimes treated as the distinct species N.
* The flower buds are pickled and used as a flavouring in sauces, salads etc. * White flowers to 3" across. * An extract of the root is used as a cosmetic and is particularly useful in treating rose-coloured rashes and capillary weaknesses.
* Rue has a long history of use as a domestic remedy, being especially valued for its strengthening action on the eyes. * A hardy perennial with gray or blue-gray rather frilly leaves, extremely fragrant (although many dislike the pungent scent); woody...
* Annual or biennial; parent is dwarfish, dark blue flowers throughout summer; does well in hot, dry sun. * Cynoglossum amabile is a flowering plant native to Asia , which is also called Chinese hound's tongue , or Chinese forget-me-not .
Prefers a pH in the range 6 to 7.5. Plants must be kept fairly dry in the winter but they like a reasonable supply of water in the growing season. A position at the base of a south-facing wall or somewhere that can be protected from winter rain is best...
Common Name: Indian Fig Opuntia, Barberry Fig, Cactus Pear, Prickly Pear Cactus
Succeeds in dense shade. Prefers a moist soil but succeeds in dry soils and, once established, is drought tolerant. * An easily grown and very tolerant plant, it succeeds in most positions in any good soil in sun or partial shade.
Seeds Per Pound: 3,178
Quantity: 0.06 lb
Crop Year: 2000
Common Name: Gladwin Iris, Gladdon, Roast Beef Plant, Stinking Iris
The dehusked seed germinates quickly at 25°c. Trees require a sheltered position and are easily damaged by strong winds. Plant them out into their permanent positions in late spring or early summer, after the last expected frosts.
* It is considered a good foraging grass for livestock and is also good for erosion control. * The grass is also drought- and cold-tolerant and is hardy in zones 4-9. * A pasture grass occurring widely throughout the Western Hemisphere
* It is very cold hardy, coming from Siberia, and will also tolerate drought and saline conditions. * This is an excellent plant to use for cut flowers and dried flowers. They keep their blue color well after drying.
Tetragonioides was the only cultivated vegetable to have originated from Australia and New Zealand. It spread when the explorer and botanist Joseph Banks took seeds back to Kew Gardens during the latter half of the 18th century.
* Shrub with upright stems; narrow bamboolike leaves, shiny bright green; small whitish flowers; a roughish plant, but extremely tough and vigorous; useful for highways and urban sites; native to China.
Trees from the Mexican highlands achieve a notable stoutness. Unlike Bald Cypress and Pond Cypress , Montezuma Cypress rarely produces cypress knees from the roots . They are very drought -tolerant and fast-growing and favor climates that are rainy throughout...
From 26° to 15° north latitude, from Sinaloa , Mexico to Honduras . * It occurs within a rainfalls regime mostly in summer. It grows between 1300-3250 m. It has been introduced in New Zealand near sea level and has done well.
* Research suggests that milk thistle extracts both prevent and repair damage to the liver from toluene and/or xylene. * Seed - if sown in situ during March or April, the plant will usually flower in the summer and complete its life cycle in one growing...
Common Name: Blessed Milkthistle, Milk Thistle, Mary Thistle, Holy Thistle
* Ginseng has a history of herbal use going back over 5,000 years. * Ginseng is characterized by the presence of ginsenosides. * It has gained an almost magical reputation for being able to promote health, general body vigour and also to prolong life.
* Big bluestem is tolerant of a wide range of soils and moisture. * Seed germination appears to be dependent on about a 2-week period of moistened seed at a time when soil temperatures have reached 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
* The Bishop Pine ( Pinus muricata ) is a pine with a very restricted range: mostly California , USA , including some offshore islands, and a few locations in Baja California , Mexico , and always on or near the coast, from Trinidad Head in Humboldt County,...
Germination will usually take place within 2 weeks. * Yellow flowers bloom in spring and summer and produce fruit in pods typically containing one seed. * Seed propagation - sow spring to mid-summer in situ.
* Parkinsonia aculeata is a species of flowering tree in the pea family, Fabaceae . * Large yellow fragrant flowers in loose clusters, in spring; green branches, doubly pinnate leaves with long narrow leaflets to 1' or more; 1" thorns; of open habit;...
* 3" yellow-orange flowers in midsummer; native to southern U.S. * Coreopsis grandiflora is a perennial plant species of the tickseed genus, Coreopsis, in Asteraceae. The common name is large-flowered tickseed.
Height: 1.5 to 4 feet
Common Name: Tickseed, Largeflower Tickseed, Large-flowered Tickseed, Coreopsis
Leaves usually solitary at axils on current year's growth, clustered on older branchlets; leaf blade linear-lanceolate, broadly lanceolate, or oblong-oblanceolate, 4–6.5 × 1–2.3 cm, glabrous on both surfaces, base attenuate, apex acute, rarely obtuse.