* White or rosy-lilac flowers in 3-7" clusters, often several to each branch tip, in May; flower fragrance, not intense, resembles privet; very hardy; forms a dense, arching shrub with substantial branches; does well in the U.S. Midwest; native to China.
Capsule obovate-elliptic, ovate, to oblong-lanceolate, 0.7-1.5(-2) cm, smooth. Corolla purple, lilac, or sometimes white; tube subcylindric, 0.6-1.7(-2.2) cm; lobes ovate-orbicular to oblong or obovate-orbicular, 4-8(-10) mm, spreading.
Bark and branchlets grayish black. Trunk to 30 cm d.b.h. or more. * Trees, 6-20 m tall. Petiole 2-4.5 cm; leaf blade often purplish red when young, greenish when mature, cordate or triangular-orbicular, * Open or dense forests, mountain slopes, along...
Height: 15-30 feet
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 6
Botanical Name: Cercis glabra
Common Name: Chinese Redbud, Smooth Redbud, Yunnan Redbud
It is hardy and not easily outcompeted by other plants. One or several flowers, each on its own long stalk, may top a single stem. * This plant grows in prairies, on the margins of woods, and on roadsides.
Botanical Name: Ratibida pinnata
Seeds Per Pound: 463,080
Common Name: Yellow Coneflower, Prairie Coneflower, Gray-head Coneflower, Gray-head Mexican-hat
Dislikes dry soils. * Succeeds in most reasonably good soils in an open sunny position. * A small tree with compound leaves, white flowers in clusters to 4", 1/4" orange-red fruit; native to northern China.
Spreading growth to 12". * Erect, bushy annual with oval to heart-shaped, toothed, hairy, dark green leaves 2 1/2" long. The hairy leaves, scalloped on the edges, are pea green, varying in size, all the way up to 3 in (7.6 cm) long and 2 in (5.1 cm) wide.
* Pawpaw is a large shrub or small tree growing to a height of 11 meters. * The flowers are produced in early spring at the same time as or slightly before the new leaves appear. * The fruit falls from the tree in autumn and is then stored until fully...
* Syringa josikaea ( Hungarian Lilac ) is a species of Lilac , native to central and eastern Europe , in the Carpathian Mountains in Hungary , Romania , and western Ukraine . * A good hedging plant, it is very tolerant of trimming.
* Primula denticulata , commonly known as Drumstick primrose or the Himalayan Primrose is a species of primrose that is native to moist alpine regions and Afghanistan to China . However it is commonly cultivated in gardens away from its native range.
Germination Test Type: estimate
Common Name: Drumstick Primrose, Drumstick Primula
It is a shrub growing to 3-6 m tall, with erect branches. The leaves are oval-oblong, 5-19 cm long and 2-7 cm broad. The flowers are generally longer on this subspecies. * Syringa komarowii is a species of lilac native to central China, commonly called...
The flowers are fragrant and range in colour from pink to mauve, sometimes with a white base; they are produced in early summer on panicles 4-25 cm long and are attractive to bees, butterflies, and birds.
* It is a genus of 12 species of perennial herbaceous flowering plants in the family Rosaceae, native to the temperate regions of the Northern Hemisphere. Stipules semicordate, large, herbaceous, margin sharply doubly serrate; petiole pubescent or subglabrous;...
Native to Korea. * Hardier form than the species. * Can be treated as a distinct cultivar, to be named 'Ernest Wilson' * This cultivar is distinguished from all others in the species by both habit and hardiness.
The plants have showy blooms in early to mid spring. Typically the first year of growth produces a mound of foliage and flowering occurs the second year, plants are normally biennials but a number of races can be short lived perennials .
* Effective as a specimen in the landscape. To the extent practicable, promptly remove faded flower panicles before seed set. * Syringa reticulata is a tree lilac that typically grows as a small tree or large shrub.
They are cultivated for ornamental use in gardens. The fruits grow closely together in large clusters. * The flowers are pink to white. The fruit provides food for wild life. * Callicarpa dichotoma (common names, Purple Beautyberry or Early Amethyst )...
American snowbell's showy, white, bell-shaped flowers are borne in pairs from leaf axils. Tall, with a wide, wispy, open crown. * A small delicate shrub with 1" white bell-shaped flowers in small clusters from the leaf axils, in early or mid summer; bright...
* Creamy white flowers, to 10" wide, very fragrant; leaves, to 2' long, grow in clusters at the branch tips--hence the common name. * The flowers are large, 15-25 cm diameter, with six to nine creamy-white petals and a large red style, which later develops...
* The stalk of the blossom is used as a soap substitute. * Clethra alnifolia ( Sweet Pepperbush , Anne Bidwell or Summersweet ), is a flowering plant in the genus Clethra , native to eastern North America from southern Nova Scotia and Maine south to northern...
Occidentalis), are also found in the East. Southern Wild Senna (S. Marilandica) is a more southern species with fewer flowers and bigger leaflets. The flowers of this large plant are not typically pea-like.
* The sprouted seeds can be eaten. They are used like broccoli. It is in the genus Asclepias , making it a type of milkweed . They taste somewhat like peas. * The unopened flower buds are eaten cooked.