* It is native to tropical Africa and southern India. * It grows to a height of 3 metres and has whorls of striking lipped flowers, that are most commonly orange, but can vary to red, white, and purple.
It is still used for most of the same purposes in modern herbalism. * It tends to grow on dry sandy sites, and is associated with pine stands. The leaves of the plant are linear to lanceolate, 3-15 cm long and 0.3-3 cm broad, with a modified dentate,...
* Lonicera xylosteum , commonly known as Fly honeysuckle , European Fly Honeysuckle , Dwarf Honeysuckle or Fly Woodbine is a deciduous shrub. It is one of two honeysuckles native to Britain, the other being the Common Honeysuckle ( Lonicera periclymenum...
It is a perennial plant growing to 0.6-2 m (1 -2 feet) tall, with clustered orange or yellow flowers from early summer to early fall. It was much used by the North American Indians and acquired a reputation as a heal-all amongst the earlier white settlers.
* Succeeds in poor soils and, once established, tolerates drought. It is also used where it grows in Pakistan and Balochistan for dysentery. * Although research and data is limited, some identified compounds in this plant include thujone, miltirone, oxy-miltirone,...
The leaves are used as a flavouring for salad dressings, vegetables and legumes,and are frequently included in strongly flavoured dishes with chillies, garlic, onions etc. * A variable species found in dry soil and full sun from Europe to China; stems...
* Celtis africana is a tree in the Cannabaceae family. This Hackberry produces a pale trunk and branches with green leaves . * It is a fast growing and popular garden tree in South Africa and is easily propagated.
Josee can rebloom up to four times in a season with the most spectacular show in late spring. Prefers well-drained soil. Shipped: potted. Attracts butterflies, fragrant, deer resistant, good for cutting.
Giant Alaska Shasta Daisies make excellent cut flowers. They grow well in sun or light shade. Will bloom again in late summer if spring blossoms are cut off. It is an easy to grow perennial that spreads fast.
In mass, this species puts a purple top on old fields and open woods. * Tall redtop or Purple-top is a 2 1/2-7 ft. The grass is often confused with Johnson grass . The seeds are also oily, leading to its other common name, "greasegrass".
The fruits are capsules 1 to 3 centimeters long and containing black seed. * The heart of the plant is very rich in saccharine matter and can be eaten when baked. Sweet and delicious, but rather fibrous.
* Echinacea is considered to be the most effective detoxicant in Western herbal medicine for the circulatory, lymphatic and respiratory systems. Its cone-shaped flowering heads are usually, but not always purple.
* The golden shower tree is a medium-sized tree, growing to 10–20 m (33–66 ft) tall with fast growth. Though its use in herbalism has been attested to for millennia, little research has been conducted in modern times.
The whole leaf can be used in weaving. The stems grow slowly and often tightly together, eventually reaching 2-5 m tall with a trunk diameter of 20-25 cm. * A strong fibre obtained from the leaves is used for cordage and brushes.
Miconioides is a deciduous large shrub or small tree, typically growing to a height of between 4 and 8 m. * Considered rare, the species is threatened by habitat loss, and only nine populations are known to remain in the wild, all of them in Anhui and...
This species is also occasionally known as Felon Herb , Chrysanthemum Weed , Wild Wormwood , Old uncle Henry , Sailor's Tobacco , Naughty Man , Old Man or St. John's Plant (not to be confused with St John's wort ).
* 3" yellow-orange flowers in midsummer; native to southern U.S. * Coreopsis grandiflora is a perennial plant species of the tickseed genus, Coreopsis, in Asteraceae. The common name is large-flowered tickseed.
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 5
Germination Test Type: Actual
Common Name: Tickseed, Largeflower Tickseed, Large-flowered Tickseed, Coreopsis
It is easily raised from seeds which germinate early in the first season. They are like Catnip for Catfish! It is highly valued for posts and fencing rails, and is also used for interior finishes, cabinet work etc.
The fruit is antibacterial, antiseptic, antitumour, cardiotonic, diuretic and tonic. * Modern research has shown that the plant increases the white blood cell count and is of value when used to prevent bone marrow loss in cancer chemotherapy patients,...
The leaves are harvested before and during flowering, the pods are harvested when fully ripe in the autumn. They are best used with Foeniculum vulgare seeds in order to counteract a tendency to cause gripe.
* Sambucus racemosa, commonly known as red elder or red elderberry, is a deciduous suckering shrub which typically grows to 8-12' tall with a somewhat sprawling habit. Fruits are attractive to wildlife.