* They are like the peppers that you buy in the store. * California Wonder peppers are an open pollinated heirloom variety of sweet bell pepper. * Blocky shape, excellent for stuffing with a sweet mild flavor.
* This species was in use as a food source in Central America as early as 4000 BC. * The mild-flavoured leaves (cooked as a spinach) are rich in vitamins and minerals. * The seeds are very small but easy to harvest and very nutritious.
Common Name: Red Amaranth, Purple Amaranth, Mexican Grain Amaranth, Huautli, Alegria
Eggplants can also be battered before deep-frying and served with a sauce made of tahini and tamarind. It ripens much earlier than other varieties. * It was originally domesticated in India and Bangladesh from the wild nightshade, the thorn or bitter...
* In 2007, Guinness World Records certified that the Ghost Pepper (Bhut Jolokia) was the world's hottest chili pepper, 400 times hotter than Tabasco sauce! * Bhut Jolokia pods are unique among peppers, with their characteristic shape, and very thin skin.
* Golden Wax bean produces excellent yields of golden yellow wax beans. Good for any climate. It provides continuous pods throughout the season. Pods are stringless, straight, and posses a rich buttery flavor.
* To get more fruits, sometimes farmers cut off the tip of the vine when it has grown 6–8 feet long. * A poultice of the boiled seeds has been used in the treatment of boils. This will force the plant to produce side branches that will produce fruit...
* Rosa rubiginosa ( Sweet briar or Eglantine Rose ; syn. Eglanteria ) is a species of rose native to Europe and western Asia . * 1" fragrant single pink roses in small clusters; 1/2" orange to scarlet hips lasting well into winter; often grows on lime;...
* Canavalia gladiata, usually called Sword Bean, is a domesticated plant species in the legume (Fabaceae) family. * The legume is a used as a vegetable in interiors of central and south central India, though not commercially farmed.
This characteristic enables the saguaro to survive during periods of drought. It is native to the Sonoran Desert in Arizona, the Mexican State of Sonora, and the Whipple Mountains and Imperial County areas of California.
The fruit is sweet and fragrant with a pear-like flavour. Dry and sub-acid. The fruit is up to 3cm long, it contains 11.4% glucose, 4.7% fructose and 12.6% sucrose. * The Japanese Raisin Tree ( Hovenia dulcis ) is a hardy tree that occurs from Japan ,...
* This is a climbing plant, supporting itself by twining around branches etc. * The fruit can be eaten raw, cooked or dried for later use. Sweeter than A. Deliciosa, the kiwi fruit, the skin is smooth and can be eaten with the fruit.
It is native to Southeast Asia but elsewhere is cultivated in gardens as an annual. * In its native environment it is grown in higher areas where rice and corn do not grow well. * Other common names include coixseed, tear grass and Yi Yi. Job's tears...
The flower, long a beloved subject in the traditional painting of East Asia and Vietnam, is usually translated as plum blossom . It may be trained as a large shrub. Fruits may be harvested for use in making jams and preserves.
Its flavor has similarities with some other spices, such as star anise, fennel, and liquorice. This tea is given to mothers in Egypt when they are nursing. * The leaves have a sweet aniseed flavour, they are very refreshing to chew and are also nice as...
Botanical Name: Pimpinella anisum
Common Name: Common Anise, Burnet, Saxifrage, Anise Burnet Saxifrage
Compound corymb rather loose, 3–4 cm in diam.; peduncle subglabrous; bracts caducous, lanceolate. Petiole glabrous or initially slightly pubescent; stipules not seen; leaf blade obovate or obovate-oblong, 1.5–6 × 0.5–2 cm, both surfaces glabrous,...
* The dried leaves are used as a tea substitute. * Used as understock for hybrid tea roses. * During World War II in the United States Rosa canina was planted in victory gardens. * It can be used in making delicious jams, syrups etc.
* A most unusual bayberry, a small tree with narrow 5" leaves and 1" deep reddish-purple berries, which are edible and are used to make a drink. * Native to east Asia. * An extract from fruit called myricerone blocks a receptor for the peptide, endothelin,...
But little is known as an ornamental. * Blossoms in May. In Russia cultivated in St. Petersburg and Moscow . * Common in mixed and coniferous forests as undergrowth , sometimes, especially in the burned areas and clearings , forms thickets.
* Its fruit is about 3 centimeters long and has a a soft whitish sour flesh and green to yellow skin. The fruit is made into pickles, fruit tarts, and sour, spicy candy in Nepal. The fruit is nutritious and has a price comparable to the mandarin orange...
* A perennial with striking pink or white five-petaled 2" flowers in summer; often a weed, but a very pretty one; likes sun, grows in grassy places, especially on limestone, often in ditches along roads; native to Europe.
* This ia a very early maturing, hot Jalapeno Pepper. * The fruits are dark green maturing to red. * he fruit will mature in about 70 days from transplanting. * The seed germinates in 2-3 weeks and should be started indoors in April/May.
* Araucaria araucana is a popular garden tree, planted for its unusual effect of the thick, 'reptilian' branches with a very symmetrical appearance. Araucaria araucana is the hardiest species in the conifer genus Araucaria.
Height: 50-100 feet
Common Name: Monkey Puzzle Tree, Monkeypuzzle Tree