Tolerates average garden soils, but not unamended heavy clays. * A shrub grown for its pale yellow, fragrant flowers in spring before leaves emerge; part or full sun; leaves dark green, gold or yellow-green in fall; Japan native.
It blooms from April to May, with trusses of 6–12 flowers, campanulate, white to pink, and fragrant. * Fragrant white or pink flowers to 3" across; 8" evergreen leaves; parent of many hybrids; native to eastern China.
* A beautiful underused small tree with a rounded, horizontally layered crown; 3/4" fragrant white flowers with yellow stamens, on pendulous stalks in small clusters; gray-brown branches with orange streaks, attractive in winter; likes moist, acid, organic...
* The plants tolerate clipping and make an attractive informal hedge. * The stalk of the blossom is used as a soap substitute. * Clethra alnifolia ( Sweet Pepperbush , Anne Bidwell or Summersweet ), is a flowering plant in the genus Clethra , native to...
Baeticum (Boiss. Spain, Portugal. Bulgaria east to Georgia. The leaves are evergreen , 6-18 cm long and 2-5 cm broad. The flowers are 3.5-5 cm diameter, violet-purple, often with small greenish-yellow spots or streaks.
Height: 10 to 15 feet
Collection Locale: France
Germination Test Type: cut
Seeds Per Pound: 4,000,000
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 7
Common Name: Ponticum Rhododendron, Pontic Rhododendron, Common Rhododendron
* Arctostaphylos patula is a species of manzanita known by the common name greenleaf manzanita . * The fully ripe fruit is pleasantly acid with a flavour resembling green apples. It is low to the ground with some of the lower branches rooting in the soil...
* Native to China, common pearlbush is a loose, upright, early-blooming, deciduous shrub with a broad rounded shape. The flower buds resemble white pearls, hence the common name. * Medium green leaves, of loose upright habit; "spectacular in flower...does...
* Acanthus balcanicus, is an endemic herbaceous perennial plant in the genus Acanthus, native to the Balkan peninsula, up to Dalmatia. Flowers are on a very long flowering stem and consist of a lower lip and upper tooth-like lip.
* Fevertree or pinckneya is a large, open shrub or small tree, growing 10-30 ft. Flowers are yellowish-green and tubular with five, reflexed lobes. Large, coarse, rich-green leaves are concentrated at branch ends.
Common Name: Fevertree, Pinckneya, Georgia Bark, Poinsettia Tree, Feverbark
* Kalmia latifolia , commonly called Mountain-laurel or Spoonwood , is a species flowering plant in the blueberry family, Ericaceae , that is native to the eastern United States . Prefers almost full sun.
* This deciduous azalea (commonly called early azalea or roseshell azalea) is a Missouri native shrub which typically occurs on wooded, north-facing slopes and wooded ravines and along streams in the far southeastern part of the State.
* A beautiful yellow dye is obtained from the flowers. Common names include yellow iris and yellow flag . Its specific epithet , meaning "false acorus," refers to the similarity of its leaves to those of Acorus calamus , as they have a prominently veined...
* Magnolia × soulangeana has alternate, simple, shiny, dark green oval-shaped leaves on stout stems. * A cross between M. Quinquepeta; large spreading shrub or small tree; flowers of plants from seed, 5-10", may be white, pink, or purplish, usually darker...
Angel's Trumpet ‘Tickled Pink' (Brugmansia hybrid) This gorgeous double flower has the flower-within- a-flower form and a very full skirt at the base with fancy, curly tails. The flowers open a light salmon color and then deepen to salmon pink in the...
It takes a little while to settle down and needs weeding for the first few years but becomes rampant when established and can then spread 60 - 90cm per year. * A prostrate deciduous groundcover with dark green leaves in summer, red in fall; attractive...
Flowers come in a variety of colors ranging from red, pink, white, purple, yellow, orange, and multi-colored forms. Red in shades of vermillion and cerise color the fragrant, tubular flowers of this old favorite Four O'Clock in the late afternoon and...
Sure to attract hummingbird moths. The rich perfume like fragrance of Pink Perfektion Angels Trumpet is most noticeable after sunset and lasts into early morning. Definitely worth sticking your nose in! Angel's Trumpets are fast growing tropical shrubs...
Deer Resistance: Rarely Bothered
Pruning: Remove dead wood and reshape overwintered plants in spring just before or once new growth begins.
Typically grows 20-30' tall. * Fragrant white flowers in 8" clusters in spring; large dark green leaves, to 8" long; smooth gray bark on rather sinuous branches; in habit, upright when young, more rounded and open with age; prefers moist acid soil and...
* The fruit, which are pomes, are edible and can be eaten raw or cooked. * The nicest tree form of Serviceberry. * It is native to eastern U.S. and much used in Europe. * It is a good bird plant with 3/8" purple-black fruit that they love to eat.
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 44
Seeds Per Pound: 12,258
Common Name: Alleghany Serviceberry, Smooth Shadbush
* Sourwood or sorrel tree (Oxydendrum arboreum, /??ks??d?ndr?m ?r?b??ri?m/) is the sole species in the genus Oxydendrum, in the family Ericaceae. The tree is frequently seen as a component of oak-heath forests.
It produces large, showy, white to purple flowers each June. The fruit is a dry capsule 15-20 mm (.60-.79 in) long, containing numerous small seeds . Leaves are sclerophyllous, simple, alternate, and oblong (10 to 30 cm long, 5 to 8 cm wide).
Crop Year: 2016
Common Name: Rosebay, Great Laurel, Rosebay Rhododendron
Pinky-purple flowers, 1 1/2"; a deciduous species that blooms before leafing out, the earliest of all to bloom; site to protect from late freezes; leaves to 4" x 1 1/4", light green, yellows and reds in fall; needs acid soil; parent of several cultivars;...
Flowers come in a variety of colors ranging from red, pink, white, purple, yellow, orange, and multi-colored forms. The White Four O'Clock is perfectly suited for moon or moth gardens as well as the fragrant garden.
* Gardenia jasminoides, (common gardenia, cape jasmine or cape jessamine) is an evergreen flowering plant of the family Rubiaceae. They are followed by small oval fruit. The white flowers bloom in spring and summer and are highly fragrant.
Tubifera , are obviously moth pollinated with their flattened corollas that open at the ends of 3-5" long arching narrow tubes. Prune after flowering. Site Gardenias near walks, patios, and within easy reach for indoor arrangements.
Native To / Origin: Asia
Container Size: 3.5 inch / 16 fl.oz. / 473 ml
Soil & Moisture: Average moist, moderately fertile, acidic soils with good drainage.
Pruning: Pruning time is not as critical on this everblooming Gardenia.