* An easily grown plant, it succeeds in any soil of good or moderate fertility, ranging from acid to shallow chalk. * This species is unusual in having alternate leaves whilst almost all other members of this genus have opposite leaves.
Quantity: 8.81 lb
Germination Test Type: cut
Common Name: Pagoda Dogwood, Alternateleaf Dogwood, Alternate-leaved Dogwood
* Native to China, common pearlbush is a loose, upright, early-blooming, deciduous shrub with a broad rounded shape. * Although floriferous and attractive in early spring, it basically plods though the rest of the growing season as a somewhat nondescript...
* Arctostaphylos patula is a species of manzanita known by the common name greenleaf manzanita . It is low to the ground with some of the lower branches rooting in the soil and others extending more outward than upward.
* White flowers in long clusters; may be a tree or shrub; egg-shaped fruit with five "wings"; prefers moist sandy loam; native to Japan and China. * Pterostyrax corymbosa is a deciduous Tree growing to 12 m (39ft 4in) at a fast rate.It is hardy to zone...
Pinky-purple flowers, 1 1/2"; a deciduous species that blooms before leafing out, the earliest of all to bloom; site to protect from late freezes; leaves to 4" x 1 1/4", light green, yellows and reds in fall; needs acid soil; parent of several cultivars;...
A good dense ground cover plant, growing well in light woodland. * The fruits look like berries but are drupes . The drupes are green, globose round in shape and turn bright red at maturity in late summer, each fruit is 5 mm in diameter and contains typically...
* It was the first magnolia to be scientifically described, and is the type species of the genus Magnolia ; as Magnolia is also the type genus of all flowering plants , this species can be seen to typify all flowering plants.
* Betula nigra ( River Birch ; also occasionally called Water Birch ) is a species of birch native to the eastern United States from New Hampshire west to southern Minnesota , and south to northern Florida and east Texas .
* Native to primarily North and South Carolina, but also found in Virginia and Georgia. * Leaves are dark green and leathery. * Upright flower clusters separate it from P. * Fairly dense and bushy, especially when young.
Botanical Name: Pieris floribunda
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 4
Common Name: Mountain Andromeda, Mountain Fetterbush
* Synonymous with Halesia tetraptera (tetraptera meaning four-winged). May be grown as a large, multi-stemmed shrub or trained as single trunk tree. * A Southeast U.S. native, small understory tree with a broad, rounded crown or a large shrub.
* Wood - close-grained, heavy, hard, rather tough, strong, durable in contact with the soil. Used commercially like Q. * The acorns of the chestnut oak are 1.5–3 cm long and 1–2 cm broad, among the largest of native American oaks, surpassed in size...
* Rhododendron occidentale ( Western Azalea ) is one of two deciduous Rhododendron species native to western North America (the other is Rhododendron albiflorum ). It is not known to occur east of the Cascade and Sierra Nevada mountain ranges.
* Pieris japonica is a shrub with alternate, simple leaves , on brittle stems. * Shiny dark green evergreen leaves, emerging bronzy in spring; white slightly fragrant flowers in pendulous masses; neat upright habit; prefers moist, well-drained, acid soil,...
* A shrub or tree in the legume family. * The scientific name of the species honors the botanist Frederick Manson Bailey. * Native to Southeast Australia. * Grows very fast with masses of tiny yellow flowers, blue leaves and delicate textures.
* Prunus caroliniana, known as the Carolina Cherry Laurel, with syns. Birds consume the dry fruit. It was once classified as Laurocerasus caroliniana. Cherry Laurel, Carolina Cherry, Laurelcherry or Wild Mock Orange, is a flowering tree native to the...
* Landscape use: naturalizing borders with other ericaceous plants facer plants with taller plants shady bank stabilization * Fall Foliage: reddish, bronze winter color * An infusion of the leaves and stems has been used to bathe itchy skin.
Elliptic-ovate, glossy, medium to deep green leaves (to 3” long). Drooping flower clusters are easily visible because of the upward posture of the foliage. This tree is in the same family as and closely related to Halesia (silverbell).
* The species has reddish-purple flowers; grows in marshes, ditches, and other wet places, even in shallow water; flowering in June and July; needs acid soil in cultivation; many elaborate, unusual, beautiful, and rather difficult-to-grow cultivars, in...
The wood works well and is suitable for interior uses such as cabinets, but trees with large straight trunks are not sufficiently common to make the tree of commercial interest. Redbay is a perennial, with a non-herbaceous stem that is lignified.
* Ribes nevadense is an erect shrub growing 1 to 2 meters tall. It is somewhat waxy in texture and studded with glandular hairs. The inflorescence is a dense raceme of up to 20 flowers hanging pendent or held erect on the branches.
Crop Year: 2010
Common Name: Sierra Currant, Pink Mountain Currant, Sierran Currant