Serotina ); the last is treated as a subspecies of Pitch Pine by some botanists . Wood - coarse-grained, light, soft, brittle, not strong, very durable, resinous. Turpentine consists of an average of 20% of the oleo-resin and is separated by distillation.
* The species is found in scattered populations over much of the eastern United States, as far north as West Virginia, south to northern Florida, and west to Oklahoma. But it is thinly distributed over much of its native range, and is becoming rare in...
* It is native to the eastern United States, where it is one of the most important ridgetop trees from southern Maine southwest to central Mississippi, with an outlying northwestern population in southern Michigan.
* Quercus acutissima lives in deciduous forests at altitudes of up to 2,200 metres (7,200 ft) in South Asia and South East Asia. * Most planting in North America was carried out for wildlife food provision, as the species tends to bear heavier crops of...
In the wild, Carolina silverbell typically does not exceed 35' in height (though specimens have been found in the 80-100' range), and is frequently shrubby in habit. * Few trees flower more elegantly-- white, bell-shaped, 3/4" blooms dangling like raindrops...
* Rhododendron catawbiense ( Catawba Rhododendron ) is a species of Rhododendron native to the eastern United States , growing mainly in the Appalachian Mountains from Virginia south to northern Alabama .
Common Name: Catawba Rhododendron, Catawba Rosebay
* One of the most handsome plants for landscape designers. White flowers in upright clusters to 12" in early summer it has nice brown exfoliating bark and spreads by stolons to form mound like colonies.
* Small, delicate plant forms a rounded mound, often loose and open; evergreen; 3" flowers in May, parents of this strain have flowers in variations of pink and purple; acid soil, good drainage; in the U.S. needs light shade in the North, more shade in...
Germination Test Type: estimate
Average Viable Seeds/Packet: 582
Quantity: 0.03 lb
Height: 3-6 feet
Seeds Per Pound: 9,170,800
Common Name: Carolina Rhododendron, Carolina Azalea
* The fruit is eaten raw, cooked or dried for later use. Sweet and juicy with a pleasant flavour, it makes good raw eating. In English it is known as salal , shallon , or in Britain simply Gaultheria .
A carpeting plant, growing fairly fast and carpeting as it spreads. The fruit is a red berry. One report says that it is unclear whether this was for medicinal purposes or for the intoxicated state it could produce.
It is dioecious, with male and female reproductive parts on separate plants. * Ilex collina is a species of holly known by the common name longstalk holly. * It is native to the eastern United States, where it can be found in North Carolina, Virginia,...
Quantity: 0.07 lb
Minimum Hardiness Zone: 6
Germination Test Type: cut
Common Name: Longstalk Holly, Long-stalk Holly, Cherry Holly
* Shiny dark green, evergreen leaves; upright, rounded, densely branched; unique among hollies in that it often spreads by suckering; doesn't mind shade but prefers sun; Dirr recommends it for foundations, hedges, and accent plants, particularly the cultivars;...
* It is in flower from Apr to May, and the seeds ripen in October. * Red or orange berries in the fall; peeling bark reveals reddish inner bark. Conservation Plant Characteristics Arbutus menziesii Pursh Pacific madrone ARME Summary Duration Perennial...
The other herbs included in the formula are Arctium lappa, Ulmus rubra and Rheum palmatum. The flowers emerge from a tall, upright stem. * Sheep's sorrel is a detoxifying herb, the fresh juice of the leaves having a pronounced diuretic effect.
Dragon's blood has a number of traditional medical uses, although dragon's blood obtained from Dracaena draco was not known until the 15th century. It has gained the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit.
It is drought-tolerant and grows well in warm climates. * Yellow Trumpetbush is an attractive plant that is cultivated as an ornamental . It has sharply-toothed, lance-shaped green leaves and bears large, showy, bright golden yellow trumpet-shaped flowers...
* A delicious tea is made by steeping the green or dried twigs inboiling water until they turn an amber or pink colour. * Ephedra nevadensis ( Nevada ephedra ) is a species of Ephedra native to dry areas of western North America.
* A small tree of horizontal branching habit, creating a tiered effect. * The tree is regarded as attractive because of its wide spreading shelving branches and flat-topped head, and is often used in ornamental plantings.
* The leaves or bark have been placed in cupped hands over the nose and inhaled as a mild hallucinogen. * It was the first magnolia to be scientifically described, and is the type species of the genus Magnolia ; as Magnolia is also the type genus of all...
They keep their blue color well after drying. * This is an excellent plant to use for cut flowers and dried flowers. * It is very cold hardy, coming from Siberia, and will also tolerate drought and saline conditions.
Prefers almost full sun. * Blue-green evergreen leaves; half-inch flowers in rounded masses at the ends of branches, pink to purplish or white. * Requires an acid humus-rich soil, succeeding in part shade or in full sun in cooler areas.